Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why one doesn't believe in a higher power.

My humble two cents worth.

Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

So the wiser we are then the less materialistically we become. History tells about Jesus... but how he lived was very simple. That's funny how something so simple can be so hard to do.

Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Here's where I definately don't get it.
    I think wisdom is the anecdote to fear.

So the wiser we are then the less materialistically we become. History tells about Jesus... but how he lived was very simple. That's funny how something so simple can be so hard to do.

Another perspective...I don't think the life
    of Jesus would be simple for any mortal.
    Forty days alone in a desert?
    Having knowledge of every betrayal and event
    that would occur in your lifetime?
    I feel religion and God have very little in
    common really. JMO

<"();::::::::::;~

don't we still use a form of faith when we read accounts of history?
    To a point, but much of it can be verified thru scientific discovery. Science is not based on accounts of history. ex: Newton's laws still make mathematical sense even though they were made 300 yrs ago. They still can be verified, no one questions this.

And what confuses me most about the Big Bang..is what banged? There had to be a star to it all. Nothing to nothing is still logically nothing.
    That is one of the great theories in science. Just because it can't be explained now, doesn't mean that the only explanation is of a higher power. We have only begun to scientifically investigate the incredible complexity of the Universe. In the past 100 years, we have learned so much more about the Universe than in all of the millions of years of world history. Science is still making incredible progress in it's ongoing study of the Universe.

I mean he had a hard time trying to do things without material things...like food. He was very faithful and had more wisdom than anyone.

Wisdom may be limitless from a human perspective. That is what faith is for, to help us with the unknown.

If we knew it all, we might be in heaven right now.

ever think the big bang might have been God's way of creating the universe. Read the Bible and you will see point's that have been proven down through history
    Remember the Big Bang and the Therory of evolution are just that One man's therory and he made money from it!!

Originally posted by duge:

ever think the big bang might have been God's way of creating the universe. Read the Bible and you will see point's that have been proven down through history
    Remember the Big Bang and the Therory of evolution are just that One man's therory and he made money from it!!
    Sure if you want to believe that, but scientifically, that doesn't have a shred of proof to it. Almost every fingers in science point towards the Big Bang theory. BTW, it's not just ONE man's theory.

As far as money, Benny Hinn and scores of other televangelist (scammers) have made $$$$$ in the name of God hand over fist to any scientist.

Brad you are right there he is not the only one to do that several others have but the bible say's for man not to do things in his name to be seen of other men maybe that is why they got caught
    oh by the way it took God six day's to create the universe We don't know how long a day is for god.............. we will all know someday

Hi Lindox,
    Explaining the existence of God is not easy,but heres my crack at it.

Causality-A cause is that which contributes in any manner whatever to the production of a thing.The thing produced is called an effect. The relation of a cause to an effect is called causality.

the world around us is a tissue of the cause and effect relation,i.e., of causality. The movement of the earth is the cause of recurring day and night and of the change in seasons. The sun for example , is the cause of sunlight; sunlight is the cause of sunburn;sunburn is the cause of pain; pain is the cause of sleeplessness, ect-the example may be extended indefinitly.(1) causality exists in the world. (2) The effect of one cause may become the cause of further effects. (3) The chains of cause and effects may be crossed and interwoven at inumerable points, so that many causes may converge to produce one effect, and the influence of one cause may be found in various effects.

So obvious is the existence of causality in the world that it appears unthinkable that anyone should deny it.Yet men have. These men have no right to take medicine for the relief of an ailment, nor to eat food to appease his hunger; to do these things would be to admit that the medicine could cause relief, and that the food could cause satisfaction of hunger.Nor has such a man even the right to defend his theory that there is no causality; for were he to offer argument, he would show that he believed argument capable of causing others to agree with him.

And to say that causes are infinitly long (i.e., has no begining) is to assert an absurdity. For an infinite number of finite causes is impossible; finite added to finite can never equal infinite.

Now, can there be many uncaused and necessary first causes? Can various chains of causation be traced back to first causes? Or is the first cause necessarily the first cause?we assert that the first cause is one and only one . For a being that is so perfect that it must exist must have the fulness of perfection, it must have perfection wholly in an unlimited manner. Why? Because such a being is self existent and wholly independent of causes. Now causes do two things; they make effect what it is, and they limit the effect so as to mark off its perfections from those of other things. Hence a being that is independent of causes, as a necessary being is,is independent of the limitation which causes impose.Thus the first cause is free from limitation; in other words it is infinite. Now an infinite being is unique; There simply cannot be more than one such being. For, if there were more than one;there would be a distinction of being between or among them; this distinction would be itself a limitation, and none would be infinite. Suppose for example, that there were two infinite beings, A andB. A has its own perfections in an unlimited degree; B has its own perfection ,similary unlimited. Now if A and B are not identical (and thus one)there is a defect and a limitationin A, insomuch as it has not the perfections that are properly B's. In like manner there is a defect and a limitation in B,inasmuch as b has not the perfections that are properly A's. Thus unless A and B are identical and one, neither is infinite. we conclude that there can be only one necessary being, because a necessary being is infinite. H ence the necessary first cause must be one and infinite.

Contingent things demand the existence of one, necessary,infinite first cause;
    Now the world , and all the things in the world are contingent things; Therefore the world, and all things in the world, demand the existence of one,necessary , infinite first cause.
    This We Call God.

I hope reading this CAUSES you to think, and the thinking doesn't CAUSE you to think I'm crazy....

JimmyMack
    Main source- RT,REV.MSGR. Paul J. Glenn, Ph,D.,S.T.D.

P.S. and not one Bible verse quoted.

Devil's advocate mode - what makes God any different than Santa, the tooth fairy, ghosts, werewolves, witches, and any other thing people believe exist? The existence of books that say, "I'm God, I created everything," and people who preach what's in those books?

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Originally posted by duge:

...oh by the way it took God six day's to create the universe We don't know how long a day is for god.............. we will all know someday
    That may be what you believe.