Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Standing Frame

Cynthia,

To answer your question, how long can one stand, I've stood for two hours and could of gone longer, but that was when I was in therapy so I had to get down. I'm in the process of getting my own standing frame and plan to stand as long as I can. I think it's probably important to watch your blood pressure when you stand for long periods of time.

It sounds like some of you have standing frames at home. Can anyone give me info on the cost and sources for them?

Thanks.

Bruce,

Here's a few,

http://www.altimatemedical.com/

http://stand-aid.com/

There's many types and prices vary, I've seen plans for home-made versions I'll try to find and post later.

BTW, some insurance companies will pay for one.

passive standing

Bruce - Passive standing has many benefits; the most immediate is that it stretches your muscles, especially those that enable range of motion at the hips, knees, and ankles. It also improves range of motion; stretching and ranging are particularly important to prevent contractures of these joints. (A contracture occurs when the muscles shorten, a natural occurence from disuse.) Of equal importance is the fact that weight bearing on the long bones of the legs helps prevent osteoporosis. The above noted benefits can be achieved by using a standing frame, braces or braces in combination with Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES), a standing wheelchair or a cycle ergometer. The latter device actually enables active stimulation and contraction of the quads, gluts and hamstrings.

The above devices are considered durable medical equipment. Insurance companies do reimburse for such devices, however, it is important to know whether one's insurance provides/includes such benefits. Some insurance companies may have a 'lifetime cap' on DME's. Depending on your goal, i.e., is it medical (e.g. improve cardiovascular/circulatory funcion), functional (e.g. brace walking) or psychological (e.g. enjoy the feeling of being completely upright), insurance may reimburse for such a device. If you and your doctor agree that this is a medical necessity for you as a spinal cord injured person, he should write a prescription for the device. It would be most important to include an extensive and detailed certificate of medical necessity to accompany the prescription that would then be submitted to your insurance.

For information on standing frames, go to: http://www.spinalcord.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=21880

For information on FES, go to http://feswww.fes.cwru.edu/info/index.htm

For information on cycle ergometers, go to: www.musclepower.com and www.electrologic.com CRF

standing frame availability

Hey everyone...It is my understand that the SCS actually will sell plans for a standing frame. I know that they also sell "stand-n-go." The more I read, the more I recognize how essential it is to us to stand...everything begins to work right when I stand, from my bowel function, to sleeping at night.

Eric Texley

standing frames

Eric - It is the end of a long day....define SCS please as I cannot. Thanks, CRF

standing frame

Just a note to suggest that those of you who expressed interest in standing, read Dr. Young's posted abstract on the benefits of standing. Most of the participants reported standing for about 40 min, 3 to 4 times per week. When engaging in deliberate muscle activity, it is important to allow a day of rest in between, i.e. about 48 hours between sessions. CRF

which one works best? What brands are using and the cost if you know?

Carl,

I posted a few on this thread, my insurance is paying for an Easy-Stand 5000:http://www.altimatemedical.com/ There're all about the same, some you can propel by yourself. I would assume they cost a few thousand, when I find out, I'll post it.

SCI-Nurse, you took some wind out of my sail, only three times a week? I had hopes of using it every day, no good?

passive standing

Rustyjames - Muscles do fatigue from activity, even in the presence of SCI. Since you do not have the usual means of recognizing stressed or fatigued muscles, it is important to follow a recognized routine. You would need to go through the same conditioning process as the non-disabled person who is on an exercise program. Generally, for the person who chooses to exercise daily, it is recommended that one alters the activity so that differing sets of muscles are doing the greater work. e.g. run/jog every other day and bike/swim/weights, on the alternate days, etc. When the muscles are deliberately exercised, there needs to be a day of rest in between. I am sure that many do not follow this approach, but certainly for the person with SCI, you increase the risk of increased spasticity and pain if muscles are over-worked; you can, also, experience muscle strain. CRF