Thread: what is your level of injury and when did you first get any return of movement and/or sensation

what is your level of injury and when did you first get any return of movement and/or sensation

I am as bad as my son with questions pertaining to peoples level of injury and when or if they got any return of anything back after their accident or whatever applies to their injury. Jess is C7, incomplete, Dec. 14, 2002, with sensation returning slightly right away. A few months later he got abs and back and then in August or so he got hip flexors plus a few other things like pain in his toe after a minor surgery and ability to know when to cath. Snowman will say that Jess is definitely my son since Jess probably knows more about everyone at Project Walk than the owners do what with his questions. So, anyone care to answer my question?

C4-5 INC, SENSATION AND PROPRIOSEPTION, IN ALL EXTREMITIES. STRONG SHOULDERS, BICEPS, WRIST EXT, UPPER PECTORIS,TRACE TRICEP, GOOD TRUNK BALANCE(CAN LONG/SHORT SIT W/ NO ARMS/HANDS TO STABALIZE ME. CAN DO ALL TRANSFERS. BLADDER AND BOWEL FUNCTION(I KNOW WHEN I NEED TO URINATE OR USE TOILET-USE URINAL AND TRANSFER TO THE TOILET FOR THE OTHER) NO CATHING OR BP.

SEEMED LIKE 1ST YEAR WAS A BIG RETURN YEAR. FEELING CAME BACK, TRUNK ECT.
    BOWEL/BLADDER CAME BOUT YEAR 3, UP TILL THEN WORE EXTERNAL CATH.
    JUST KEPT STRENGTHINING MY MUSCLES I HAD AND THEY BEGAN TAKING OVER FOR NON WORKING ONES

18 years post, T11-12 complete but have regained some feeling (although it's more of a numbness if that makes any sense) about two inches below my navel. I am able to feel pain (not at the surface but deep down...again, probably makes no sense) in my hips and knees when my arthritis acts up. This started about 10 years post.

He is able who thinks he is able. - Buddha

i have a pretty similar timeline to your son. i was injured 12/01/02, C7. had sensation in the first couple weeks, adduction and quads at 2 months, abs shortly thereafter. i can stand and take steps in the parallel bars now and have some muscle control virtually everywhere, though i am very weak in certain areas.

how is project walk going? how ong have you been there and have you seen any improvements?

c5-6 incomp, injured aug 2000. First yr was big but little things still waking up. I could hobble w/ walker at 1 yr after intensive pt. Now walk w/ 1 crutch and 1 afo. Balance is still bad, 1 side is weaker, proprieception not good at all. Wish him luck for me! (And with his injury, it's not luck but hard work. He's in the right place)

Originally posted by buckwheat:

i have a pretty similar timeline to your son. i was injured 12/01/02, C7. had sensation in the first couple weeks, adduction and quads at 2 months, abs shortly thereafter. i can stand and take steps in the parallel bars now and have some muscle control virtually everywhere, though i am very weak in certain areas.

how is project walk going? how ong have you been there and have you seen any improvements?
    Project Walk is going really well for Jess. Although he had his abs when he started there (June 2, 2003) they were really weak. Now he can sit straight as a board but still could tip over if he goes too far one way or the other. Plus he can crawl which is something he didnt do before PW and from one video clip to the next (I suppose a one month time lapse) you can see a remarkable improvement. From one month to the next he was able to crawl unassisted and not wobbly. He says he can "crawl like a champ". Yes, maybe the hip flexors would have kicked in without PW, but the work he does there I am certain has made a world of difference in when and how he puts them to use.