Thread: Life Care Plan

Life Care Plan

We are interviewing life care planners for a plan to be used in determining settlement $$ in a lawsuit (age 18, t12 complete). Does anyone have any experience or suggestions in specific questions or concerns that we should be addressing? Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

"You're life care planner should be a doctor who is familiar with SCI."
    Sorry...
    I shouldn't have said "should". Everybody's circumstances are different.
    I guess what concerned me was when I talked to an individual whose life care planner was hired by their employer (defendant). They agreed on a settlement and figured it was enough to take care of his needs, but he didn't foresee some of the complications (due to his injury) that he would have and was concerned about running out of money. To be fair, I don't know much about the details of his situation.
    Anyway, Jaw, good luck. I hope everything works out.
    And thanks Marmalady for your input too.

[This message was edited by hope2findacure on 11-06-03 at 04:13 PM.]

I would also recommend you set up a 'Special Needs Trust'; see here for a little more detail:

http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33035

I don't know about a 'life care planner' being a doc, but you do need to get a good capital management firm who won't charge you an arm and a leg, and who will look out for your assets and balance them with nontaxable bonds, etc. You should also have an accountant who can coordinate with the capital management folks, and again who won't charge an arm and a leg.

A good link with lots of info regarding structured settlements, special trusts, etc...
    www.tjsg.com