Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Make a 4X4 truck accessible

How to Make a 4X4 truck accessible

Hi
    Well after 17 months of being on sick leave I am finally back to work. My company wants to get a 4X4 truck for me to use and I need to know so information on the Bruno Lift. Such as can you use it with a rigid frame chair etc. Chris D and Wheelin Archer have them as I have read a post from them on it but did read any of the finer details. I am a C 6/7 imcomplete and I can get into my wifes Durango with a slide board so I may not need the Bruno Lift if the company decides to get a mid size truck like a S 10 or Dodge Dakota etc. If any of you have any experience with adapting a 4X4 truck so that it is wheelchair friendly let me know thanks.

Hey Charlie, If you dont need a full size truck I would talk them into a ranger or S-10. That way they could save gas (your selling point) and buy an outridder chair lift for the back. They save money and you dont have to break your chair down everytime you get in the truck.

I can email some pics to somebody if you want.

Pat

Nevada, I'm also C6-7 inc. I can get into my wife's Yukon without a sliding board but with a little boost from behind. Getting out's a little easier but it can be a pretty far drop.

I agree with Pat. If you can go with an S-10 or something similar I would. That 2 or 3 inch height difference makes it a lot easier.

Whatever way you go I've found that Bruno's stuff www.Bruno.com is pretty bulletproof. I'm talking to their engineers about the Chevy SSR (www.chevrolet.com) which is obviously much lower (street car) and wouldn't require the "turney" seat. Transfers would be pretty easy I think.

What other details are you concerned with?

How's your hand function btw? Grip, natural or via tendon transfer (I had one hand done this summer),could really help your transfers and function.

Chris and Archer thanks I knew that you two would have the answers for me. I told my boss this afternoon that I knew of two guys who could help me out on this. I to mentioned the S10 Ranger or like you Chris the tundra. First brand new truck I ever owned was a Toyota 4x4. That truck was the most dependable truck I ever owned. To answer your questions Chris I have full hand and arm function just a little below the lower level of normal by a few pounds. Archer I mentioned your rig to him but the cost made him whistle LOL. Oh and by the way the safety office at the district office told my boss that they were worried about my safety driving and figured I would not want to be out of the office. Kind of hard to be a Park Ranger and not get out of the office don't you think.

nevada - I'm currently pursuing custom building a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, lifted w/ 33s or 35s, & geared towards off-road capability (while being a somewhat practical daily driver). The accessibility mods are going to cost around $10k. The Jeep is about $26k stock, and further off-road mods (suspension lift, tires, skid protection, etc etc) will likely bump the total price to a little over $40k... which in comparison to several minivans, trucks, etc isn't all that bad, all things considered.

I'm c6/7 too. Once this project gets moving I'll post a new thread; I'm communicating w/ a couple dealers now, & I have a friend out in California who'll modify it in due time.

just wanted to toss out another option

~ scott

nevada, i got a dodge cummins 2500 4x4 the front of this truck really cant be lowered its only 3 inches off bump stops now. my brother built brackets under bruno turny seat so truck would not have to be lowered.

i purchased airbags for front was going to make a kneeling system but with the lower seat brackets i dont need kneeling system.

www.keldermanmfg.com has airbag system similar to what i was planning.

jmu-

yo! are you seriously doing that? that's like my dream car! tell me about the modifications so i can drool please!!

kim

CLC, How did you bag the front when its four wheel drive? This is something I was looking into but nobody wants to mess with the front. I feel it can be done if the mount was made as a c-channel to clear the front driveline. Please e-mail me or start another topic. I would love toi see your front wheelwell without the tire on if possible.

Kim... I'm seriously working on it, although not much has happened yet. I'll keep you posted; I think I still have you on my IM buddy list.

peace,
    ~ scott

Originally posted by Pat(wheelinarcher):

CLC, How did you bag the front when its four wheel drive? This is something I was looking into but nobody wants to mess with the front. I feel it can be done if the mount was made as a c-channel to clear the front driveline. Please e-mail me or start another topic. I would love toi see your front wheelwell without the tire on if possible.
    hey pat with lower seat didnt need airbag lowering, i still have abags probably install as helper or road smoothers on front axle of peterbilt.