Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My ramblings about 'Some thoughts'

My ramblings about 'Some thoughts'

This is in reference to Steven's topic Some Thoughts. I posted a new topic so as not to dilute from Steven's original post.

For those of you that read my posts and know me, I've always denied the fact that 'we' are a 'community.' I've always maintained the notion that most people here were united by injury alone(or knowing or caring for such an injury). We have different injuries, abilities, goals, religions, thoughts on the future of SCI, political beliefs, ages, nationalities, and personalities. That is why I feel compelled to comment on uniting for a common goal. Are we too diverse? Do we have a common goal? Please bear with me...

What I get frustrated about is the belief that a cure won't happen or won't benefit them. Some people even act like they wouldn't take a cure if it's available. I don't understand this, but I'm learning to tolerate it. This is the reason that I don't feel a 'cure' can be our collective goal. So what can be?

HAPPINESS

Increased happiness would be better for many of us. Don't get me wrong, I'm happier now than I've been since my injury, but we could all use a little more. That can be achieved in different ways for different people - finding the cure, getting rid of pain, sharing experiences, supporting each other through understanding, and a little compassion might go a long way toward this goal.

I don't know what got into me after reading Steven's thread. Maybe I'm being a bit too idealistic, but if we are going to unite we need to stop judging others, quit being nitpicky, and lend more support to fellow members.

Before anybody tells me to look in a mirror or some such thing, I'm aware of my past actions and don't need a lecture...

Amen!!

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh!", he whispered. "Yes, Piglet?" "Nothing", said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you."

Amen, again CJO.

CJO, thanks for posting a new topic for this... and I, for one, happen to agree with you.

-Steven

Originally posted by cjo:

...Before anybody tells me to look in a mirror or some such thing, I'm aware of my past actions and don't need a lecture...
    are you bickering with unseen others?

if 'the cure' meant partial restoration of mobility and the choice became walk like shit or glide around in a wheelchair, give me my chair

in the short time I have been here it seems as though some speak of 'the cure' as if it is going to restore their pre-SCI lives and that is, most likely, idealistic
    IMHO

oh...and, cjo, your post was veering toward a sermony flava, i know how you hate that, so i thought i'd let you know

supporting each other through understanding, and a little compassion might go a long way toward this goal.
    I think if support, understanding, and compassion could be the goal, the happiness might follow naturally.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

kan5a5,

before you go taking away happiness of others with your talk of the cure, there are many here that believe that being restored to pre-SCI lives is possible and will happen. This may take awhile, but that's what gives some of us hope. If you think this is a pipe dream, I invite you to find Dr. Young's definition of a cure and follow it up with a little research.

cjo,

Over such a short time..you seem to be a bud..opening up in slow motion photography.
    So very beautiful to see.

If you can dream it..you can
    do it. Walt Disney

Originally posted by cjo:

kan5a5,

before you go taking away happiness of others with _your_ talk of the cure,...
    I don't have the power to take away anyone's happiness and, if I do, the person who gave me that power is an idiot, I just got here. Get to know me before you give me the joystick that controls your emotions.

But, although I've only known you a short time, you seem to be a bud

I can envision a sweaty, work-weary redneck popping your top and overflowing with joy in anticipation of the sparkling refreshment that only you can provide

Bud wiser, you are.

Originally posted by kan5a5:

are you bickering with unseen others?

if 'the cure' meant partial restoration of mobility and the choice became walk like shit or glide around in a wheelchair, give me my chair

in the short time I have been here it seems as though some speak of 'the cure' as if it is going to restore their pre-SCI lives and that is, most likely, idealistic
    IMHO

oh...and, cjo, your post was veering toward a sermony flava, i know how you hate that, so i thought i'd let you know

sigh....another positive thread gone bad! Kan5a5, lighten up! If you don't want to think of a cure, just don't! And PLEASE if you and others want to rant about how idealistic some of us are, start a new topic! This is not the appropriate thread in which to do it. Thanks! Carol

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh!", he whispered. "Yes, Piglet?" "Nothing", said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you."