Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: My diary: Building a new home

sink info

Wondering how to make a kitchen sink more accessible due to the drain pipe? Check these sinks out....

http://kitchensource.net/bl-supremeundermounts.htm

No new pictures, but some news. I saw my new home in person for the first time this past week. WOW. Very exciting. The drywall was installed during my trip. Dad is doing an excellent job of "supervising" everything there and communicating all of my changes. Now for the update:

Tile: We selected tile for the bathrooms during our trip. Aside from the obvious aesthetic decisions, it was important to keep functionality in mind. My current bathrooms have white tile and white grout, with no tile around the sink. The roll-in shower at my parents' house is great, but water gets everywhere because of spray. I wanted to eliminate all of these problems in my new home, so here's what I decided to do:

- The shower in the main bathroom is huge at 5x6. It will have two handheld shower heads with separate controls, one at each end, so my able-bodied roommate can shower without having to remove my shower chair. The shower will have four corner ledges (at my height) to hold shampoo, soap, etc. The shower has an indented area that will have a "seat" that I will use as an additional ledge. This area will also be home to my urological supplies, which I hang when not in use. It was important to me to get these things out of sight yet within reach.

- I initially wanted a large glass shower door. But after seeing the size of the shower in person, I have decided to leave the entrance to the shower open for now -- no door, no curtain. The shower is big enough to contain spray, and leaving it open provides me with greater access.

- With no shower door, I wanted the shower area to "flow into" the rest of the bathroom, from an aesthetic standpoint. I decided to tile the walls up to three feet around the entire bathroom to accomplish this goal. Doing this solved other problems as well. First, any spray from the shower will hit tile, not a painted wall. Second, tiling around the sink area protects the walls from bleach splatter (from cleaning urological supplies).

- I chose several different sizes and colors of tile. The tile I selected cannot be discolored by bleach. Also, I selected a darker grout that won't show dirt tracked in by my chair.

- The "slope" I mentioned in a previous post is going to work out quite nicely. It's very subtle and sufficient for proper drainage. Most importantly, there won't be a threshold into the shower.

- I exceeded my tile allowance with my selections, but the builder is going to apply the difference to other areas (like not having a glass shower door).

Appliances: We selected these as well. Though appliance needs vary person-to-person, I'll pass along a few things that I have come across during my journey.

- Look for cooktops with controls mounted in the front. Electric cooktops are easier to use, since all you have to do is slide your pot/pan off instead of lifting. As for access, it is possible to leave the area below the cooktop open so that you can roll underneath. I've seen several nice designs with "pocket doors" under the cooktop that open and slide in to give you space.

- Most new refrigerators have shelves that slide out easily, but some do not. I also like the "can cradle" feature on some models that hold cans in the door without requiring you to lift them out. Good for those of us without hand use.

- Side-opening ovens are out there, though I opted for the traditional style. Just another option that makes cooking more wheelchair-friendly.

- The microwave is my best friend. I'm disappointed with the newer microwaves being offered -- most have a push-button to open instead of a handle. I also like the convection/microwave combos -- they give you more freedom. I'll have a pull-out shelf under my microwave to slide food out easily.

I hope to have more photos of the inside soon.

Clipper, hadn't checked in on your progress in a while. Everything sounds wonderful, well, except for the shower sub-floor problems. It's frustrating when you plan so carefully for something that important, and then the people you're TRUSTING and PAYING to do the job properly screw it up! (Bringing back bad memories ... ) Anyway, happy and excited for you. I wish you much joy and many happy memories in your new home.

Clipper,

Things look great.

Question: Have you looked at kitchen sinks yet? If you have, is there a brand that offers shallow basins? I am currently building my kitchen (it's just an empty wall now).

Also, did you get a chance to check your private topics. Just wondering if you saw my reply in "Article".

-Lewis

Originally posted by Lewis:

Question: Have you looked at kitchen sinks yet? If you have, is there a brand that offers shallow basins? I am currently building my kitchen (it's just an empty wall now).
    Lewis,

I've given more thought to the kitchen than I probably should. I finally decided to leave it as-is, with no modifications for accessibility. I can get to my current sink from the side, which gives me all the access I need. I thought a lot about angling the cabinetry to get me closer, but my knees stick out too much for this design to really work. I also considered opening it up underneath and dropping the sink. But, in the end, it wasn't worth it to me.

Kohler makes a nice shallow-basin sink that is ADA compliant:

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...=Kitchen+Sinks

Sterling makes one in stainless steel that is ADA compliant:

http://www.sterlingplumbing.com/onli...p?item=4092903

I'll e-mail you soon about the article.

There's been a lot of progress since my last post -- we are less than a month away from completion. The photo below is of the full bathroom downstairs, off what will be my office. This bathroom, like the master bathroom above it, has a roll-in shower and wall-hung sink. In this photo, the sink will go in the area to the right, with the toilet on the other side of the mini-wall. The large tiles lead to the shower area in the back. The floor is sloped to the drain, and there is no threshold whatsoever. The door to the left leads to a linen closet. The tile guy built up the bathroom floor so that it would be perfectly level with the hardwood in the adjoining room.

The concrete for the driveway/entrance/pathway was poured on March 2. This was a little tricky because there is a pathway on the left side of the photo (see next post) that leads to the back of the house. This pathway had to join up with the driveway, as did the entryway sidewalk. I'm really pleased with the outcome. The entryway sidewalk is nicely sloped with almost no threshold into the house and into the garage.

Here's the pathway to the back of the house.

Hi Clipper,your house looks great,the concrete looks good except where the curb meets the pathway it may be a stress point that could crack in time.My wife and I are planning to either build a stick built house or get a modular home still trying to decide.Well,goodluck with your project looks great!
    Steve

Here's a photo of the kitchen (most of it, anyway). This view is looking from the dining room to the great room. Too bad there's plastic over the windows!

Anyway, you can see the lowered countertop areas on the left side, and at the end on the right. The microwave housing has a pull-out shelf beneath it. The cabinets don't have any hardware on them just yet.