Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: My diary: Building a new home

Originally posted by KDK:

Did you eliminate the 11" difference in elevation between the house and garage? We did and were charged extra because the foundation required a "step" to do so. We were left with a 2" difference, a requirement for carbon monoxide according to code, so we had a concrete ramp built to access the house from the garage. There are no steps to the front door of our new home or to the rear patio. We were also charged extra for the wider doors.
    The builder "dropped" the foundation so that we would have, at most, a 2-inch difference between the garage and main level. This will be sloped out. Ditto for the front entrance. Only the lower level and garage rest on a true concrete foundation. The remainder is pier and beam because of the graded lot. The "drop" didn't add to the cost, and the wider doors will not cost extra. So far, the builder has been wonderful.

Agreed on the remote controls for ceiling fans and fireplace.

First things first - CONGRATUATIONS!!

Wow, I must say that your home is a lot closer to completion than my home is. I am also building a house. My husband and I started this process in May, and we were finally able to start the actual building process about 3 weeks ago. Currently, I'm hopeful that the foundaton will be completed by the end of the week.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...ae8d0000001610

This is our house that we finally moved into Memorial weekend... It took 8 months to build and I subcontracted everything out myself...

Hey Clipper!

Can we get that lunch in before you bolt for greener pastures???

Drop me a line ok??????

Lots to tell!!

Mary

Julia_Catherine: Congratulations to you too! We started the process at about the same time. Things really moved quickly in the past month, but the waiting seemed to take forever. We did a one-time close, construction to mortgage, that didn't occur until Oct. 16! The builder wanted to start before the weather turned rainy. Please tell us more about your new home!

Annabell123: Beautiful house! I love to hear more about your experiences.

Mary: Of course!

Thanks Clipper!

It will be a one-story structure with 2256 sq ft of living space. The house will be located on almost 2 acres just barely southwest of Amarillo, TX.

My husband and I hope to move into it sometime this spring. Our contractor also was in a hurry to get started before the weather turns bad for the winter.

I should have some pictures of the house building process in a week or so.

Originally posted by annabell123:

It took 8 months to build and I subcontracted everything out myself...
    ...she even bought a herd of holsteins that live in her back yard and gets up before dawn to milk them!
    moooooooooooooooooooooooo!

clipper...i love the idea of a daylight basement!
    good luck!

joy
    "Now the only healthy way to live, as I see it, is to learn to like all the little every day things."
    -Larry McMurtry

Clipper, you are most fortunate with your builder. We were charged an extra $1800 for our special foundation, extra $250 for wider doors, extra $67 for a taller comode, to name a few. It was very frustrating.

Originally posted by KDK:

Clipper, you are most fortunate with your builder. We were charged an extra $1800 for our special foundation, extra $250 for wider doors, extra $67 for a taller comode, to name a few. It was very frustrating.
    Was your home built on a slab? My lot is/was actually level. The garage is "ground level" but the rest is dug out. They dropped the "foundation" nearly a foot to eliminate the step up. But since it wasn't a slab, they just had to dig a little deeper. I wonder if this accounts for the added cost you incurred. Was your home entirely custom? This might also account for the added costs.

The picture I attached shows the completed foundation. The area on the left is the garage. You can see the drop-off more clearly.

To those who have built and/or purchased homes, can you please post information regarding special funding/loans/rates available to people with disabilities? I've had a few people contact me privately about this and thought it would be good to discuss in this thread.