Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: My diary: Building a new home

Clipper~
    By far one of the best topics that has been posted here. Great diary and addition to the site.
    Congrats on the new home. Many years of happiness and pleasure.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

HI, Clipper,

I saw this thread and have read all of your house notes. Great notes, great house, great ideas, etc. Congrats!

I have one question regarding the roll-in showers. Without any type of door, do you find them to be cold after you turn off the warm water? I've been told by an architect that showers without any type of door will get cold quickly. I'm building before too long and would prefer the roll-in, no door showers but don't want the problem of coldness if it exists.

My sweetheart is T12-L1 and I want him to be comfortable when at my home.

Thanks

Originally posted by bette:

I have one question regarding the roll-in showers. Without any type of door, do you find them to be cold after you turn off the warm water? I've been told by an architect that showers without any type of door will get cold quickly. I'm building before too long and would prefer the roll-in, no door showers but don't want the problem of coldness if it exists.
    bette,

I had the same concerns but don't find it to be a problem. With the bathroom door closed, it seems to trap the warmth of the shower fairly well. I think the design of the shower might also play a role. My shower is fairly large and is like a small room. Also, the shower is on the second floor, which is warmer than the one below. Another solution for you might be to install a heat lamp light fixture. I really enjoy using those when I travel.

Our bathroom does not have a door at all, and we use a ceiling mounted heat lamp to warm the bathroom in the winter. It works well.

(KLD)

Thanks, Clipper and SCI Nurse.

The suggestion of a heat lamp is a good one.

That is an absolutely beautiful home. Congrats on all that you've done....it is amazing.

I noticed you live in "Raleighwood"...too funny. That's what we call Raleigh around here.

Oh, and about the bathroom heat. I used heat/bathroom fan/light combo deal in my bathroom. It heats things up very quickly on those cold winter mornings.

"The Great Thing In This World Is Not So Much Where We Are, But In What Direction We Are Moving"
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes -