Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kitchens and bathrooms

kitchens and bathrooms

im wondering how everyone has their kitchens and bathrooms set up to be more accessible. is there a way to get to top kitchen cabnits? for those who cook, is there anything that makes things easier? how about bathroom sink? im thinking wood cabnits are out if i have a roll in shower, but then what?

anyways, im looking into building a house and want to make it so im completely independent (im c6-7 complete). any ideas?

Bridget...

I use long handled "reachers" to access the cabinets in my kitchen (cups, plates, etc) and all of my glassware/plates are unbreakable just in case I drop them. If you have some hand function, you may be able to use those fairly easily to access your cabinets as well.

Check out the link below. There are pictures of the "guest house" that my parents built for me while I was in rehab (kitchen and bathroom included). It is fully accessible and although there are a few things I would change if I could, it works out great for me.

Also, North Carolina State University (my University ) has a center for Universal Design. You may want to contact them for ideas. I'll try to post that link below as well.

My living space

Center for Universal Design

"The Great Thing In This World Is Not So Much Where We Are, But In What Direction We Are Moving"
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes -

Bridget -

Check out my house diary. Might give you some ideas.

Clippers House Diary Link

[This message was edited by Obieone on 03-07-05 at 09:38 PM.]

Ya,Clippers house diary is awsome...How about batroom cabinets in the bathroom ..I had a roll in shower put in and sink mounted on the wall thats about it.I havnt done my kithen,i just do everything sideways..

~~If it feels good do it even if ya shouldnt,dont let people mess you around~~

The PVA has a new (and free) booklet on kitchen design. You can find it out through the PVA store at www.pva.org

Here are some additional resources:

Bob Vila Accessible features

http://www.tenten.mb.ca/apt108/kitchen.htm

Rev-a-shelf (look under new products)

For bathrooms, you don't want a cabinet under the sink, but can put one beside it if there is room. Look for wall-hung cabinets if possible so you don't have to worry about rot from the base getting wet from the floor. We put the sink toward the corner (wall hung) and then put in a wall-mounted medicine chest on the side wall at wheelchair height. Mirror in front of the sink all the way down to the sink. In the area we remodeled (dressing room) there was already a closet with mirror doors, so we put bookcase shelves in that closet. This works well for all the bowel and bladder supplies and is easy to access. Of course we have a ceiling track lift in the bathroom and bedroom too.

(KLD)

[This message was edited by SCI-Nurse on 03-07-05 at 09:18 PM.]

Check out below web sites, it had neat moving cabinets and stoves that raise and lower.

www.ad-as.com

Alyson

The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
    Don Juan Matus

You can also check this one out:

http://www.barrierfree.org./

*~*~Kaisha~*~*

thx all for replies. im just getting some ideas and this is a great start.

clipper, can i move in jk, i was wondering about that lift you have...does your chair actually lock in? id be afraid i might roll off and break my neck again

Originally posted by bridget:

clipper, can i move in jk, i was wondering about that lift you have...does your chair actually lock in? id be afraid i might roll off and break my neck again
    My chair doesn't lock in, but the lips on either end and on the side prevent my wheels from going over the edges. HOWEVER, the lips will fold down when your wheel nudges them UNLESS you get the automatic arms. (My parents have an identical lift in their house without the automatic arms, and it always freaks me out a little.) The arms will keep you in safely, though. I've used my power chair, manual chair and even my shower chair on the lift and have never felt unsafe. The only tricky part is getting on. I sometimes tip back onto my anti-tip wheels. Hope the picture helps explain.

Does your lift have a manual crank? The lift my van breaks down occasionally but the manual crank does me no good because of where it is. Just wondering if this may have some of the same problems. My luck halfway up the power would go out. lol

Alyson

The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
    Don Juan Matus