Thread: My van almost caught fire this morning

My van almost caught fire this morning

I have a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country modified van with about 35,000 miles on it.

Last night I couldn't get the damn key out of the ignition. The bastard just refused to let go but it was in a position where I thought the battery wouldn't drain overnight so I left it.

I was wrong.

So I got a boost this morning and the car is running fine... so I go back inside and let the car run for a few minutes. Then I smell an acrid electrical fire kind of smell. I go out to the garage and the ramp has pulled itself in, the car is running and there is some serious smoke coming out of the interior of the van! And what a smell too. Fortunately my wife was home and she turned the thing off.

It got towed and hopefully I will soon know what happened.

Anyone else have little shitty things going wrong with their vans? I am seriously thinking of buying the new Sienna van. I doubt I'd have all these little "poor quality" problems like ignition problems, door motors dying, electrical failures. Not to mention a near fire/explosion.

And to top it all off... of course it has to happen on a Friday afternoon so I will likely be vehicle-free for the entire weekend.

Wonderful!

[This message was edited by mk99 on 10-17-03 at 01:23 PM.]

MK , mind telling me how you made that happen , i got a few vehicles here i wouldn't mind organising what insurance fraudsters call a ''cash sale '' on .
    thank you ,
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

From past experience with a burning vehicle, let it burn! Its not worth trying to stop it. My sister had a lemon and it finaly caught fire one day. The guy behind her was a fireman and had an extinguisher. She was crying and the guy thought it was because of her car. It was sort of, she wanted it to burn to the axles!

"I am seriously thinking of buying the new Sienna van. I doubt I'd have all these little "poor quality" problems like ignition problems, door motors dying, electrical failures. Not to mention a near fire/explosion."

a sienna? lol! I have one and have had nothing but probs with it from day one. Maybe though knowing my luck I got a lemon. Or maybe the 2003's and 4's are better. Or maybe the person installing the equiptment messed up. Either way good luck

Well, it's now Day5 with no vehicle and am still waiting for VMI to send a new circuit board as the old one is toast.

And today my elevator just died so now I'm no longer simply stuck in the house. I'm now stuck exclusively on the 2nd floor as well. At least my commode, bed & computer are up here and I'm not physically stuck inside the elevator itself.

You just gotta love SCI eh? Nothing like feeling helpless, useless & stuck.

thats #2. Stand by for 3. it always comes in threes.