Thread: Rugby World Cup 2003 starts in 1 hour !!

Rugby World Cup 2003 starts in 1 hour !!

The 3rd biggest sporting event world wide is about to begin. The opening ceremony starts in an hour from now, the first game will be at 10.30am GMT.

Co-incidently, rugby union has been blamed for a vast number of sci's.

To dogger, the other aussies and those who are regular Rugby watchers, I'm sure you are just as excited as I am. To those who dont know much about the sport, take a look and you might get hooked.

Bring it on

-------
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid occasionally, but some people abuse the privilege.

I dont really follow the rugby union nor do I understand the rules fully. But Ive seen people being tackled ruthlessly, being picked up and almost spearheaded into the ground. It scares me seeing someone tackled like that! Are these tackles legal in the game?

Go Australia!

Did I hear something about proceeds going towards spinal cord injury during the opening ceremony?

I couldn't resist posting. My injury is a result of rugby. Fun sport. Pretty rough. Freak accident, (bad ruck returning kick off) and I have no bitterness to the game.

jp

Same here jpw. Rugby accident. A freak incident. BTW Anna any tackle on or above the shoulders is illegal. Spear tackles are illegal. Players in Australia play in positions appropriate to their body shape/size. The game is nowhere near as rough as American football (gridiron). I am still a fan of the game!
    As well, Australia defeated Argentina 24-8.
    Rugby jerseys used in the opening ceremony are being auctioned with money going to SCI Australia (don't quote me on the organisation receiving the money yet).
    Andrew

Welcome to the party pal!
    Bruce Willis, Diehard

Anna , being born and growing up way down south , it is understandable that you don't understand the rules of rugby . the followers of the game often refer to it as ''the game played in heaven ''. i was injured in a car accident , but thank the more than 20 seasons i played rugby for having instilled in me a good training outlook , which paid off in rehab and for having built up my neck muscles [ a must for a tight head prop ] , which i felt helped support my neck when injured . i also heard the same as Andrew , about the money raised from selling the Jerseys used in the opening ceremony going towards an SCI organisation .
    thank you ,
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

Thanks Andrew for the explanation, I didnt think they were legal in union either. As dogger mentioned, I grew up down south in Geelong, which is Ablett country...i never really cottoned on to league or union, although i have been to see a league game which was fun.

I think that now the players are much more aware of injuries and the consequences that their actions can have, not to mention how it could affect their contracts if they were to be suspended or injured.

Thats great that the money is going to SCI fund!
    That sort of publicity will go a long way towards awareness of spinal cord injuries.

This may help explain the fundraising.

http://www.worldrugbyauction.com/

http://www.spinalcordinjuries.com.au..._sci_australia

Andrew

Welcome to the party pal!
    Bruce Willis, Diehard