Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TiLite ZRA Owners, need opinions?

TiLite ZRA Owners, need opinions?

I went to try out a ZRA today. The only demo that they had was way to small for me, but I got in it anyway.

One of the problem I have with my current chair, a TRa, are the front casters keep coming lose. Also, I'm unable to get this chair into a regular car, but the ZRA was easy.

I looked closly at the front casters of the ZRA, and it looks like it will have the same problem of coming lose and having to readjust them. I was hoping they'd have a fixed caster option, but it doesn't look that way.

For now I've dicided to go with some modifications to my TRa. I'm going to get a smaller back, and have the push handles removed. Also, I'm going to replace the brakes with the scissor type, because I've scraped my wrist one too many times when going up a curb. They're also going to install some sort of seat insert that was supposed to have been installed when I first got the chair. It never was installed, and I didn't know anything about it.

If you've got a ZRA, overall how do you like it? Have you had any problems with the front casters coming lose, or any other problems.

The dealer said he only has two customers with the ZRA, which they haven't had them very long, and haven't given him any feedback on the chair yet. He said he hears alot of complaints about the casters on the TRa though.

Maybe they'll make a ZR, with fixed position casters. I was originally looking at a TR, until I saw the ZRA.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Thanks for the tip about the casters, I will have to check them out on my TRA.

jimnms,

You may want to look into getting some "Frogleg" casters. This solved my problem.

I'm not sure if there's a dedicated website but I think you can get them @
    www.sports-n-spokes.com

Hopefully that link works.

Hi jim

Could you expand a little on what you mean by the casters coming loose?
    I've almost decided to get the ZRA, but I'd like to know what you mean by the casters not being rigid, or why they come loose.
    Thanks much, take care.

-Bob

It's hard to describe, I had my camera with me, but I forgot to take pics.

The way it adjusts, it's like a clamp looking thing. You tighten a screw and it clams down on the part that moves for adjustments. If that screw comes lose, then the caster will tilt.

I have no need for adjustable casters, and don't see why I'd ever need to. I wish they'd just have fixed casters like on the TR.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Originally posted by jimnms:

I have no need for adjustable casters, and don't see why I'd ever need to. I wish they'd just have fixed casters like on the TR.
    I think that adjustment is for tracking of the chair. When I got mine it had to be adjusted there because it pulled to one side. It still sort of pulls slightly (arrgh), but I got used to it so it is staying that way. Yeah, I wish my TRA also had TR style caster attachment, that adjustable thing looks cobbled together. Maybe I will buy a TR frame and transfer the parts over from my chair, hmmm.

Originally posted by jimnms:

It's hard to describe, I had my camera with me, but I forgot to take pics.

The way it adjusts, it's like a clamp looking thing. You tighten a screw and it clams down on the part that moves for adjustments. If that screw comes lose, then the caster will tilt.
    I have mine handy. If you loosen the two screws visible in the photo, the caster tilts relative to the frame.

Originally posted by *Andy*:

I think that adjustment is for tracking of the chair. When I got mine it had to be adjusted there because it pulled to one side. It still sort of pulls slightly (arrgh), but I got used to it so it is staying that way. Yeah, I wish my TRA also had TR style caster attachment, that adjustable thing looks cobbled together. Maybe I will buy a TR frame and transfer the parts over from my chair, hmmm.
    While I was in the ZRA I asked the guy to straighten the casters. He said the proper position is to have the flat part perpendicular to the floor. He had a plastic thing that he laid against it to make sure it was in the right position before tightinging it.

_____

Originally posted by *Andy*:

I have mine handy. If you loosen the two screws visible in the photo, the caster tilts relative to the frame.
    He was asking how they are on the ZRA, they are different on the ZRA. Here's a cutout from the diagram on the ZRA order form I downloaded from there website:

They way it looks, you losten the lock nut, the whole caster rotates inside that round part.

At least with the TRA, there's a screw there to keep it from rotating too far, and you can still roll around. But the way it looks on the ZRA, if it came lose, the caster would rotate all the way up, and the foot rest would hit the floor. Then you'd be stuck.

_____

Jim, thanks for pointing that out...I too am about to trial a ZRA and I can what would happen if those screws loosened. I am going to check with the dealer bout it. I too had decided that chair was the way to go if i liked the trial chair.