Thread: Pew study needs subjects (esp. Californians)

Pew study needs subjects (esp. Californians)

I also posted this on the Care forum. See especially the bolded areas on her letter. You can contact her directly at sfox@pewinternet.org or via me (SCINurse@spinalinjury.net)

(KLD)

Thank you so much for the reply!

You might be interested in hearing that, in our telephone survey, we found that Californians were more likely than non-Californians to use the Internet to get health information, especially regarding health insurance, alternative medicine, and experimental treatments. I'll be releasing a special report about California's Internet users, particularly those in low-income households and those who are Latino, in about 2 weeks. I'm also beginning to look more closely at family caregivers' use of the Internet, for a report to be released in the spring of 2004.

Since you are a health professional, you brought a unique perspective to our online survey. What percentage of messages on your online discussion boards is from caregivers and how much from those who are living with their injuries? When these Internet users bring their online research to their off-line health professionals, how do the professionals react?

Also, your responses to our online survey will remain confidential, but sometimes a story is best told by someone on the "front lines" of a situation. People can connect to our findings in a personal way by reading about one person's life. Would you be willing to talk to a reporter about your experiences as someone who uses the Internet for health? I completely understand if you do not want to, but your story is so compelling, I thought I'd ask. Also, if you happen to know an Internet user who fits the description of a Californian Latino Internet user or a Californian Internet user living in a household with less than $30,000 annual income, please let me know! I would love to talk to them about their experiences with Internet health resources.

Thanks so much for your time. I really appreciate it.

Susannah Fox
    Director of Research
    Pew Internet & American Life Project
    1100 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 710
    Washington, DC 20036
    tel 202.557.3462
    fax 202.296.6797
    www.pewinternet.org

By the way, you can get the first report, as well as subsequent reports on this at this Pew Center website:

http://www.pewinternet.org/reports/toc.asp?Report=95

(KLD)