Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A drink of water, anyone?

A drink of water, anyone?

A good friend recently forwarded this to me. It has some startling factoids... I think I am going to drink more water! Wise.

------
    Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:45:24 EDT
    Subject: read the part about water vs. coke its very interesting
    To: wisey@pipeline.com, JwsCratongroup@aol.com, Waltier@aol.com

I am forwarding this message on because it agrees with everything I have been learning over the past few years about the importance of giving your body enough water (since we are 75% water!). From my own experience I can tell you that going from drinking 1-2 glasses of water to drinking about a gallon of water everyday has made a huge difference....no more headaches, enhanced mental clarity, concentration, and memory, softer skin, etc. If anyone wants to learn more about the importance of water for our health I would recommend reading "Your Bodies Many Cries For Water" by, F. Batmanghelidj. It is available at <http://www.watercure.com>www.watercure.com

~God Bless~

Subject: WATER VS COKE
    Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 12:24:40 -0700

(THIS IS KINDA INTERESTING...)

We all know water is important, but I have never seen it written down like
    this

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
    2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often
    mistaken for hunger.
    3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.
    4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100%
    of the dieters studied in a U. of Washington study.
    5. Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
    6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could
    significantly ease Back and Joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
    7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble
    with basic math and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or printed
    page.
    8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decr! eases the risk of colon cancer by
    45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79% and one is 50% less
    likely to develop bladder cancer Are you drinking the amount of water you
    should be every day?

COKE
    1. In many of the U.S. states the highway patrol carries two gallons of coke
    in their truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
    2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be dissolved in
    two days.
    3. To clean a toilet: pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let
    the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke
    removes stains from vitreous china
    4. To remove rust spots from chrome bumpers: rub the bumper with a
    rumpled-up piece of aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
    5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: pour a can of Coke over
    the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
    6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in C! oke to the rusted bolts
    for several minutes.
    7. To ! bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coke into the baking pan.wrap the ham
    in aluminum foil and bake. 30 minutes before the ham is done, remove the
    foil allowing the drippings to mix with the coke for a sumptuous brown
    gravy.
    8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke into a load of greasy
    clothes, add detergent, run through the regular cycle. The Coke will help
    loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your car windshield.

For your information
    1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its ph is 2.8 . It will
    dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric Acid also leaches calcium
    from our bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in
    osteoporosis.
    2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup concentrate, the commercial truck must display
    the Hazardous Material cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.
    3. The distributors of Coke have been using it for years to clean the
    engines of! their trucks.....about 20 years!

Now the question is: Want a glass of water or a Coke?

Dynamite Post!!!

Thanks Dr. Young
    I have read this at the New Mobility web site and started to drink a lot more water(bottled water at work ).

Ps. Dr Young will you be in Chicago at all this year?. I believe there is a neuro convention right here in Sweet Home Chicago!!

Sept. 30-Oct. 3 Hyatt Regency Chicago, Illinois

[This message was edited by The Human Cannonball on August 30, 2001 at 10:19 AM.]

I don't want to take anything away from the importance of drinking water (I try and drink a gallon or more every day), but in regards to the info on Coke, it's the phosphoric acid that does all that stuff. But Citric acid will do the same things and is a good environment friendly cleaner...and we need it in our diets! Do we need phosphoric acid? Doubtful, but an ice cold Dr. Pepper or Coke really hits the spot sometimes. Everything in moderation, I say. Hell, even too much water can be bad (though i think you'd have to drink a LOT more than a gallon to get any ill effects).

~Rus

1 Gal. of H2O and SCI

Isn't it a known fact that people with SCIs develop smaller bladders and thus less capacity over time? Drinking a gallon of H2O every day may be great for someone whose urological health is uncompromised, but for someone with a neurogenic bladder accommodating that much fluid could mean endless trips to the bathroom, and potentially many accidents.

Before I started voiding spontaneously, I had to be cathed every 4 hours (in rehab). But since I don't have to cath and I use an external catheter, I try and drink as much water as I can, often a quart in one guzzle. I have to empty the legbag often, but it keeps me flushed out when I keep up the water intake. But when cathing, I was limited to like 2400cc's a day (or less?). It sucked for many reasons, and I can't imagine it's good for your body to limit fluid intake so much. But what are those on a cath schedule supposed to do? This SCI stuff sucks, no?

~Rus

Wise,

Can you forward this email to me?

Angus, I just forwarded the contents of the above to you. I copied the text, pressed the button envelope icon for you, which opened up my email program, pasted the text into it, and sent it to you. You can just as easily email the entire page to yourself or anybody that you want by pressing the envelope icon on the upper left, entitled "Email this page to someone!". Wise.

Water

Can Ice Tea, Ice Cofee (decaf), lemonaide, or anything else be substituded for water?

davecarl

I'm sure one of the SCI-Nurses can answer in more depth, but nothing beats pure water. I understand clear liquids like lemonade or juice is good too, but I recently learned carbonated beverages may decrease acidity in the bladder, possibly making way for infection. But, in my humble opinion, the key is to not drink too much of anything with caffeine in it, as it is a diuretic and takes water out of your system instead of putting it in, dehydrating you.

I don't JUST drink water, but I know the more I do drink, the better I feel.

~Rus

Isn't Phosphoric acid one of the active ingredeants in Urolux cleaner, the stuff I use to clean my latex legbags?? Also I have NEVER like Coke or Pepsi for that matter! Welcome to the local chemical plant!lol
    I must confess I was always bad about drinking water, often deliberately dehydrating myself to deal with the bladder and logistics problem, but since I got my foley, I drink like a fish, at least a gallon of water a day. Then the occasional cup of tea or iced tee or a glass of ginger ale or root beer. I try to keep the sodas to a minimum because it makes urine alkoline, and defeats the purpose of the cranberry pills.