Thread: life expectancy of quad smoker?

life expectancy of quad smoker?

How long can a quad expect to live if he smokes a pack a day? (10 years post, 34 years old)

Allright so say the smoker is not myself but someone I know, and there's scant chance he's gonna quit. So all's I wanna know is, how long can he be expected to live?

[This message was edited by wheeliegal on 09-24-03 at 05:39 PM.]

For a quadriplegic, respiratory disease is the number one cause of death. So, I would stop smoking

-Lewis

You got that right Lewis. I would quit if I were you.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I used to smoke a pack and a half in my twenties, which was quite a long time ago. Good thing I was young. My cardiovascular fitness was so bad I'd get out of breath just from muscle spasms.

What I would do....

1) Get an FES bike. It will afford you true cardio-vascular exercise that's hard to get by other means.

2) And by all means quit smoking. Sometimes, it's horribly difficult to quit. Other times you just make up your mind and then it's totally doable....even cold turkey.

Doing these two things will give you a shot at a normal life span. And the money you save on cigarettes over time will pay for the FES bike. Or maybe your insurance will pay. Doing neither of these two things is a certain recipe for a shorter life span, in my non-expert opinion.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Oh and Jeff how the stink do you afford a FES bike? How could I get one of those?

wheeliegal - A lot of folks are pursuing their insurance companies to get FES bikes paid for. You might even be able to get funding through local civic organizations. It would be worth trying. In the meantime I think you know you should quit smoking. Its effects are probably much more drastic on sedentary individuals.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Wheeliegal, a girl injured the same time as me [C5/6, I believe] smoked a lot and didn't get up very often. She passed away a week or so before Christmas in 2000 from double pneumonia.

-Steven

The thing that really turned me off from ever smoking again was back in 1981 when I was injured, the 18 year old guy in the next bed to me who was a c-4 quad was an excessive smoker and they use to suck about a quart of mucose out of his lungs every day. The nurses said had he not smoked so much, he would have had no wheres near all those lung problems

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred