Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were a kid in the 50,s 60,s 70,s you probably shouldn't have survived.

If you were a kid in the 50,s 60,s 70,s you probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,doors or cabinets, and when we rode bikes we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.)

As children we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or airbags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was like a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. We ate cupcakes,bread and butter, and drank soda with sugar in it. And we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.Staying in on a sunny saturday was a punishment.

We shared one soda with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then rode them down the hill,only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem.

We would leaave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.No cell phones.

We did not have Playstations,Nintendo 64,X-Boxes and such.No 99 channels on cable, VCR,s surround sound, personel cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms. We had friends, and we went outside and found them.

We played dodgeball and sometimes, the ball really hurt.

We fell out of trees and got cuts, broken bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us.

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes,nor did the worms live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friends house, and knocked on the door or rang the doorbell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little league had tryouts and not everybody made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disapointment.

A spanking on the butt when we deserved it ,did not hurt our self esteem. It hurt our butts!

Some students were not as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to rrepeat the same grade.

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were are own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk takers and problem solvers and inventors ever.

And your one of them.

Hey Jimmy...well said, thanks for sharing and you hit it right on the head...hang in Reeseo

Thanks for sharing this...

JimmyMack...

This post is right on the mark! I was born in the 50's raised in the 60's/70's...

Life was so, so simple back then. Nobody locked their doors. There were party line phones, no zip codes, you knew your next door neighbors...and the ones within a mile or two, people relaxed more, people smiled more. People had a better sense of right and wrong. The Dollar Store would have been expensive then...almost.

People went visiting because they wanted to, not because they had to. Work was enjoyed, and not endured. People were not afraid to reach out to someone, to make a new friend, to get involved. Compassion was not unheard of. Life was simpler...more relaxed. I am glad I grew up then...it helped make me who I am now...

Teena

Very interesting story and so very true. And people wonder where the little monsters come from nowadays.

The neighbors and teachers could discipline you if you were screwing up, and your parents would whip you again when you got home. There were fruit trees all over our neighborhood to climb and scarf green apples, pears, plums, cherries, etc. Now they've all been cut down out of fear of lawsuits.
    Sour green apples with salt was a real treat in those days.
    Of course, there were drawbacks, like dodging the occasional Raptor or T-Rex.

Yes, the good old days. When an eleven-year-old bringing a gun to school earned him an A grade in "show-n-tell" for teaching gun safety.

Parents were a major factor in their child's education then, responsibility was fostered at home and in fact an accepted part of our culture.

Noel

I remember in the 80's when we still had jungle gyms and big slides on our elementary scool playgrounds. I screwed up quite a few times on the rings and ended up on the ground quite a few times in pain without suing the school.

-Steven

Jimmy, GREAT article! I smiled throughout, relating to much of it, being a product of the 70's.

Having said that, though there may be some truth to what we are remembering, what we remember from our childhood and our perception of the world today are definitely going to be influenced by our experiences as we have grown up from that child remembering those carefree days of playing dodge ball and riding our bikes through the alleys and getting our knee scraped while climbing up on that tree in our back yard.

Memories can be sweet, especially those of our youth. But childhood innocence and naiveté delude our memory. Being young and free from the burdens of being an adult is going to make your experiences appear better than what they are for you as an adult.

Memories and reality aren't necessarily the same.

I hear people talk about how the world was so much better in the 'old days', how our society, our communities were much nicer and safer. What are people necessarily referring to when they talk of this safer and better environment? How do we measure what makes society better?

Crime? Illegitimacy? Education? Opportunities? What??

In the past few decades since the 70's, crime has been on the decrease. More people are in prison now than ever before, with homicides and other criminal activities being on a downward trend. Out-of-wedlock births have been decreasing the last couple decades as well. Teen pregnancies on the decrease, with rate of abortions also down. Children are being educated on the risks of sexual behaviors and consequences, even some choosing to pledge abstinence. Over the last few decades, there have been greater opportunities made available to many people, women being among the greatest beneficiaries. Educational and employment opportunities have been opening more and more doors for women to branch out from their traditional roles (though still behind men in being compensated for same skills/experience). Women have been even surpassing men in school achievement and rate of entrance into higher education, including higher graduation rates. Even on the national/international front, global terrorism has been on a steady decrease in the last 20 plus years (per U.S. State Dept. report on global terrorism), thus the world being a more secure and safe place.

Why do people have this tendency to assume that the world is worse off than a few decades ago? Are we really worse off than, 10, 20 or 30 years ago??

In the past 10, 20 and 30 years, there has been great technological developments and ever faster modes of communication and information being made available and accessible to people. This is where I believe most of the answer lies. (which could in itself lead into a whole other debate ).

Chick,I,ll use a line from Neil Simon, no matter how bad or good those times were, I loved them for the most selfish reason of all,

I WAS YOUNG...

JIMMY you said it man those were the days. we had garage parties with the blue or red light bulb, nobody interested drinking or druging just gettin that first slow dance.lol gloria