Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lady Isabel

Lady Isabel

So, besides Steven and I, how many of you out there have the heebie-jeebies about Hurricane Isabel? Anyone else in the 'maybe' path?

I DID NOT move back to Charleston to confront another one of Mother Nature's furies our first year here!

We're as ready as we can be if we decide to stay here; if it looks like it'll get too bad, we'll pack everyone up and head out til it's over.

I am just really glad we live in Wisconsin and don't have to worry about hurricanes. I think I would much rather have snow!!!

I would be out of there the day before one hit!!

Hurricane Isabel Pounds East Coast

Hurricane Isabel Pounds East Coast
    56 minutes ago Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

By ALLEN G. BREED, Associated Press Writer

ATLANTIC BEACH, N.C. - The large eye of the weakened Hurricane Isabel crossed North Carolina's Outer Banks into Pamlico Sound on Thursday as the storm pounded the coast with howling wind, stinging rain and waves.

AP Photo

Reuters
    Slideshow: Hurricane Isabel

Isabel's Fury Strikes Virginia, N.C.
    (AP Video)
    Hurricane Isabel Update
    (AccuWeather)

Related Links
    • U.S. Satellite Image (Yahoo! Weather)
    • Isabel probed for forecast improvement (Yahoo! Weather)

Hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses were blacked out, and well over 1,500 flights in the major eastern cities were canceled, said David Stempler, president of the Air Travelers Association. As the storm moved northward, all flights to and from the Washington metropolitan area's airports were likely to be canceled, he said.

Most of the coastal barrier islands were nearly empty as rain flew at a 45-degree angle, driven by wind that turned sand grains into darts and howled like jet engines.

"It's like a sand blaster. You need a face shield," said Nick McClintock, a pipefitter who used his welding mask to watch 15-foot waves at Nags Head. Seas up to 33 feet were reported off the Virginia coast.

The eye of the hurricane came ashore about 1 p.m. along the southern Outer Banks, between Cape Lookout and Ocracoke Island, the National Hurricane Center (news - web sites) said. About 100 of Ocracoke's more than 900 residents had chosen to ride out the storm.

The huge storm spread rain across North Carolina and Virginia and into Maryland, Delaware and parts of West Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Isabel's top sustained wind eased to 95 mph after it made landfall, and a gust to 105 mph was measured at Ocracoke Island, the hurricane center said. It was expected to continue weakening after hitting land. Hurricane-force wind - at least 74 mph - extended up 115 miles out from the center.

A storm surge of 5 to 6 feet was reported at Cape Hatteras, with about 4 feet in the Neuse River at New Bern, N.C., the hurricane center said. There was a threat of isolated tornadoes in parts of North Carolina, Virginia and southeastern Maryland, meteorologists said.

"This is still a very powerful storm," hurricane center director Max Mayfield said after the eye came ashore. "This is a very large hurricane and very well defined."

More than 638,000 customers had lost power by early afternoon in southeastern Virginia and eastern North Carolina, according to Dominion Virginia Power and other power companies.

North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley asked for a federal disaster declaration to make the state eligible for damage assistance. In anticipation of flooding and wind damage, Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell issued a statewide "disaster emergency" declaration. Governors of West Virginia, Maryland, Virginia and Delaware had earlier declared emergencies, and the governor of New Jersey planned a declaration Thursday.

At Virginia Beach, Va., huge waves destroyed a "small piece of the end" of the 400-foot-long 15th Street pier, the only oceanfront pier in the resort area, officials said.

The federal government shut down in Washington. Amtrak halted service south of Washington, and the Washington-area Metro system shut down all subway and bus service.

The Federal Aviation Administration (news - web sites) closed air traffic control tower in Norfolk, Va., and in New Bern and Kinston, N.C., the FAA said.

Numerous schools closed in North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and the District of Columbia, and schools were to close Friday in West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle.

More than 300,000 people in North Carolina and Virginia had been urged to move to higher ground. Even seasoned storm veterans gave in to the five days of warnings that started when Isabel was a Category 5 leviathan with 160 mph wind.

But a few thousand hardy - or foolhardy - souls ignored evacuation orders. Virginia Beach police suggested they write their names in permanent marker on their forearms so they can be identified if they are injured or killed.

At Howard's Pub on the Outer Banks' isolated Ocracoke Island, bartender James Tucker said he and five other employees resolved early Thursday to "hang out and drink beer until the cable runs out."

Terence Fominaya from Gainesville, Fla., kept his video camera trained on the Triple S pier in Atlantic Beach in hopes of capturing the rickety structure if it collapses.

"I'm enjoying myself," he said, never looking up from his camera.

A hurricane warning was in effect from Cape Fear in southern North Carolina to the Virginia-Maryland line. A tropical storm warning extended northward to New York's Long Island, including parts of New York City.

At 3 p.m. EDT, Isabel was centered about 50 miles east-southeast of Greenville, N.C., the hurricane center said. It had picked up speed, moving northwest at around 20 mph. Isolated tornadoes were possible in eastern North Carolina and southeastern Virginia.

Forecasters said Isabel was expected to maintain its status as a hurricane, with sustained wind of at least 74 mph, for about 12 hours after landfall. It was expected to move north across North Carolina and Virginia and then take a path through western Pennsylvania and western New York state before dissipating in Canada by Saturday.

Up to a foot of rain was possible in West Virginia's hilly Eastern Panhandle and 6 to 9 inches of rain was forecast for parts of Pennsylvania.

Because of the already wet soil from a rainy summer, the U.S. Geological Survey (news - web sites) said there was a potential of landslides in West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York.

___

EDITOR'S NOTE - Allen G. Breed is the AP's Southeast regional writer, based in Raleigh, N.C.

___

On the Net:

National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ane_isabel_112

i saw on cspan this morning that bush eviromental policy causing global warming is the cause of isabel.

Really, DA? I thought it was the giant sucking action caused by the sudden and total collapse of all the Bush lies at once.

She's going west of Baltimore, so it won't be as bad here as it could have. Sill going to be a bad night, most likely.

Alan

Schools and daycare are closed for today and tomorrow. Wind is howling and the kids won't sleep. It is going to be a looong night. Our power keeps going out but not near as bad as surrounding areas. I am North of Alan.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

well, Isabel blasted us pretty hard. I live about 3 hours from the coast... we had very high winds & tons of rain. Schools (including all universities) have been closed the past 2 days, Virginia had about 1.7 million customers w/o power. Around my area, most stop lights are out, over 45,000 people in town were out of power last night; we're down to about 21,000 now. Last night we cooked dinner in the fireplace.

I'm at work now but my neighborhood is still dead as of 4pm thursday. We had a huge (> 75') tree in the back woods fall, and a branch go *through* our back deck. The reservior is flooded way over capacity; a few major roads are closed due to high water areas... last night one major intersection had water levels high enough to reach car windshields. Otherwise it's just tons of debris (leaves, branches, etc) everywhere & lots of flooding.

the storm passed around 3am this morning. The skies are clear & the town is a mess... but all is well & it could be worse.

~ scott

Charlottesville, Virginia (center of the state)

We lost power last night at 1 a.m. Amazingly, we got it back after 15.5 hours. BG&E had said it could take up to seven days, as so many people lost power.

We had much less rain than expected, and the top wind gust was 55 mph. Could have been much worse.

Alan

Alan, Scott, glad you came through without too much trouble. Jackie? Cheesecake? You two ok?