Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bowling For Columbine

Bowling For Columbine

I finally seen it "Bowling For Columbine" Thought it was a excellent documentry. I'm curious if you at CareCure here are gun crazy Yanks and what you thought about it. Also if you personaly have a gun, or your family and friends do? I could not believe the differences in deaths by guns between the US and all other countries. It's pretty freaky.

i think our obsession with guns evolves around the Constitution. It's an issue of power: we have the right to own these weapons and there isn't a damn thing you(the government) can do about it.

taking away our rights to own guns, is tantamount to taking away one of our freedoms.

I saw that doccie/movie a while back as well.

The interesting aspect from my point of view (as an inhabitant of a non 'first world' country) is the difference between the US and Canada, Europe and Australia.

Very interesting subject.

I can understand the historical significance of having armed citizens to prevent government overstepping boundries, abusing their own citizens, etc.

But today, how does having the right to carry a gun in your glovebox make you any less free than a citizen of any other country out there?

For a Nation to tolerate the shooting, murder & violence rates that the US has there MUST be very good counter reasons to allow this. (like fear of your own government?) Either that or a very strong political group (like NRA)

Please help a non-American understand.

I haven't seen it yet, but I wanted to make a few general comments.

Monkeygirl, I heard that there were only like 165 gun related homicides throughout Canada in 2002. Does that sound about right to you?

I don't really know what the issue is about some Americans and guns, but bilby's answer does sound like a reasonably probable one. Personally, I was raised in a family with a gun cabinet and I learned to shoot at an early age with both a gun and a bow-and-arrow. I don't feel the need or desire to own a gun, but others may.

Basically, I'm undecided on the gun issue.

-----

"Originally posted by mk99:

I can understand the historical significance of having armed citizens to prevent government overstepping boundries, abusing their own citizens, etc.

(like fear of your own government?)

Please help a non-American understand."

Bush?

-Steven

First of all I live about 5 miles from Columbine but at the time lived less than 1/2 mile. Friends, neighbors and co-workers were and are affected. It's also still a very popular media topic.

Given this experience and my personal beliefs I don't own, condone or support gun legislation of any kind. To me violence breeds more violence and man has proven that when provoked he/she will use violence. If a gun is handy...

However, constitutionally Bilby is right. Many in this country support the "right to bear arms". Is this misguided? An abuse of the original constitutional intent? Imo, yes. During this country's foundation and the subsequent Revolutionary War there was just cause to own a gun. Protection, property issues, livestock, etc. But, at the time, there were many threats and we didn't have a police force or an established criminal justice system. So, for the time, being forewarned and forearmed was, probably, justified. Today, for me, those reasons just don't fly. I understand them but don't agree with them.

Yes, Mike, the NRA in the U.S. is extremely powerful. Their strength, popularity, and lobbying abilities can have a significant on the political landscape - especially presidential. And in a country where 76 million people are 55 and over one of their (and rightfully so) most important issues is safety and security. Does owning a gun make you feel safer, more secure? For most I would answer yes.

The reptilian brain, specifically in times of war or conflict seeks safety, security and protection. One has to only look at sales of the H2 and other SUV's to realize that bigger is badder and that a "don't f*ck with me attitude" is very prevalent with many Americans. Having a gun or at least the authority to own one helps to exacerbate that attitude. Gun sales are up 30% in the past year. Wanna make money in the stock market? Buy stocks that produce weapons.

Overall, more education is needed as well as level-headed reasonable approach. Right now, war is at the forefront, so obviously most people aren't thinking clearly, reasonably or ausing a whole lot of common sense.

Guns aren't the answer but taking away the right to own them isn't either. Personally, I'm not sure what the right balance is...?

Hey, MG, we may use guns but I prefer them over bombs - Israel, etc.

Violence sucks in any form.

I wasn't sure that I would like it, but It wasn't bad. I agree that the American media has created a perception of fear even as crime rates have fallen, attention has risen to new hights.

He speaks his mind and his political views are very strong.

ChrisD,

I don't have the answers either...but my state is heavily dependent on the tourism that hunting season brings. The shotguns used to hunt pheasants are still capable of violence, but it's the assault weapons that are more of the problem I believe.

The framers of the Constitution did a remarkable job, but they couldn't foresee today's problems. I don't personally feel I need a weapon to defend myself; nor am I afraid of having to quarter soldiers.

I've been a gun owner all my adult life, until I became a quadriplegic that is. America's gun violence is a mystery to me. I agree with Moore's and Heston's final conclusion that it's just part of our national ethos. We're real pissers.

The thing I've never been able to figure out is where the hell do all these guns go? I mean it's not like guns are easy to wear out or break. Yet, they keep selling them by the millions. I wonder what the per capita rate of functional guns there are in the United States?

In America, we are armed to the teeth. I trust our government with its well-regulated militia. There are more gun deaths per year in the United States than Great Britain, Japan, Australia, Canada, and Germany combined.

PN

http://www.endevil.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/endevil7p.html