Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major NE Power Outage

Major NE Power Outage

New York City, Cleveland, Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa among many others are all out. NYC is really handling it well. Civilians are directing traffic everywhere. The tunnels off the island are closed because they don't have ventilation. So the entire NJTransit bus fleet is headed to NYC to help people get home. No looting, panic or problems like that. Quite impressive.

Terrorism is not yet suspected.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Terrorism was ruled out, the heat did it.

Stay cool yall. It's +35 here.

Oh, boy, am I glad we moved!!!

Stay cool, and drink lots - er, water, that is!

awwww...i love the west coast

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--unknown

If a power outage or brownout happens in California where I live, I will unplug both of my PCs. When the power is finally restored, sometimes there is a power surge or the power can be very low and this can damage your computer.

PN

we need to end energy dependences from canada. maybe even regime change.

Y2K

The circuits were off by about three and a half years...

i'm all for that DA. Chretien would be the joker in the deck of cards.

I don't know why everyone is so quick to dismiss it being the an act of terrorism. Bush, how can he say "One thing I know for sure, it's not an act of terrorism" What a crock, he either knows that it is or hasn't got a clue. Of course he's gonna say that. I'm even more suspicious because of the 2 guys nabbed at the Seattle airport the other day (Tues?)They were on the terrorist watch list. They were heading to New York with one way tickets. Could they have been a piece of the puzzle? Hmmmmmm... Or that top Terrorist dude they just captured, gee what timing? Hmmmmmm....

PS; Not meant to alarm anyone, just my thoughts about what's going down.

PS: DA, I agree with the dependance the US has on Canadian energy, our rates will go up here as your demands increase. We have to pay what the US is willing to pay. It sucks! Especially California, their energy is almost non existant, and they will to pay extreme prices, because they won't have a choice, either will we because of it. Our power company here in BC is still owed millions of dollars from unpaid power bill from a California Power company.
    Ok, nough said, whole different rant there, thats not what I wanted to talk about but oh well, I'm not going to delete it now, it took long to type it all.

PS: Also not meant to come down on you Californians, don't take it personal.

[This message was edited by Monkeygirl on 08-15-03 at 03:47 AM.]

Monkeygirl - You definitely speak like a Canadian consumer. Electric power, not to mention other forms of energy, represents a vast amount of exports from Canada to the US. Canada produces way more power than it uses. I would love to see all that electricity just float around on the grid unused, and all the millions invested in generating capacity simply go to waste. I worked for Green Mountain Power in Burlington, VT for five years. Our largest sources of power were our contracts with Hydro-Quebec. At the time the contracts were written they were a good deal. Unfortunately, the price of power fell and the good people of Vermont were obliged to pay a premium for power for a long time. GMP came very close to bankruptcy. My stock in the company was halved in value twice. But the revenue flowing into Quebec continued unabated. I, like you, wish completely that the US would shake its dependency on Canadian Energy. But I think Canadian officials are probably of the opposite mindset.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~