Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help for UTI's

Help for UTI's

Have any of you heard of an alternative sweetener called Xylitol that helps with bacteria...
    My husband who is a quad c-6/7 for 20 years had recurring UTI's for the past 2 years, only his bladder infections would get so bad they would back up into his kidneys and become septic. He was in the hospital twice for 2 weeks at a time on a respirator because of the septic condition...the doctors couldn't believe he pulled through and lived. It was literally a miracle both times. His problem was that he didn't know when he had an infection--he wouldn't get symptoms of fever and chills until it was already in his kidneys. He was on antibiotics all the time...An infection would clear up and about 1-2 weeks later I would notice how cloudy his urine was getting again and send a specimen into the lab and immediately start him on Cipro or Macrobid while we waited for the results to get back. I always kept antibiotics at home just in case. He was also on cranactin, vit.c, and d-mannose but none of these did any good. Because he was on so many antibiotics, I kept pumping him full of acidophillus. Around the same time, he had become a diabetic. So in a quest to find alternative sweeteners, I came across one called Xylitol. With the Lord's help, I started noticing that when I sweetened his protein smoothies with the xylitol, his urine output was better and his symptoms of infection would clear up. I didn't realize how critical the xylitol was until I ran out. One day and a half without it and he spiked a fever. I hurried and got more and had him drink it but we still had to go into the hospital... But praise God we were only there for 3 days this time instead of 2 weeks and were sent home on oral antibiotics which he stopped taking after a couple of days.(I kept giving him xylitol in the hospital and his symptoms cleared up so fast). Anyway, that's when I knew how well it really worked and how critical it is to keep in his system at all times. That was back in August. He hasn't had any reoccurrence of infection since. It really is a Godsend. Now I'm curious if it will work for other people with sci. He takes 2 tsp. twice a day. Or if he is going through a stressful time I may add a 3rd dose, but you have to be careful because it could cause runny stools if you take too much. At the above dose he's fine. You can mix it in water, tea, smoothies, etc. I buy it from a health food store. The brand of Xylitol we get is by KAL and is manufactured by Nutraceuticals corp. If it helps you, please let me know. If you look up Xylitol on the internet it seems that many alternative doctors use it for sinus and ear infections, and it is also known to prevent cavities. Apparently it prevents the bacteria from adhereing to the cell lining, so maybe that's how it helps my husband's bladder. I'm just speculating, but all I know is that it works for us. Good luck and God bless....

isn't it in some gum?

*Join a Movement*

UTI's are common in diabetcis due to the high glucose (sugar)content.I would say the xylitol helped keep his glucose low and his other diabetic medications. But,certainly worth a try. ???
    We all get too much sugar now a days anyway.

CWO

My husband has been diabetic for 2 years, at which time we cut out all sugars from his diet (well, except for some carbs). When we started the Xylitol, we were actually adding a sugar to his diet. It's really amazing how it has prevented him from getting UTI's within the last 6 months since we began using it daily. I hope some others of you can benefit from this information. Now I just wish we could find a simple cure like that for neuropathic pain. That's our next big dilemma to tackle.

Pure xylitol is a white crystalline substance that looks and tastes like sugar. On food labels, xylitol is classified broadly as a carbohydrate and more narrowly as a polyol. Because xylitol is only slowly absorbed and partially utilized, a reduced calorie claim is allowed: 2.4 calories per gram or 40% less than other carbohydrates.

It is one of the good carbs- I am sure Dr. Atkins approved.
    I think it would be considered and listed as one of the sugar alcohols ( they all end in ol), or good carb and don't count for as a carbs.

Glucose and some others listed as "sugar" on foods or the ones to avoid. These don't affect the pancreas.
    Do a "xylitol" search on www.google.com for more info on Xylitol.

CWO

Sure you are not confusing this with D'Mannose sugar? This has been discussed frequently here and does help in UTI prevention when taken regularly.

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee:

Sure you are not confusing this with D'Mannose sugar? This has been discussed frequently here and does help in UTI prevention when taken regularly.
    No I'm not confusing Xylitol with d-mannose. We tried D-mannose for a long time and still got uti's with it, even e-choli which it was supposed to help against.

Blog Entries
    Green Tea (8 8 oz. glasses a day) helps me kick most very UTI if I catch it early.

Just thought I might share?

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will RUN and not grow weary, they will WALK and not be faint."
    Isaiah 40:29-31

Surfcat, thank you for the verse...I've had a very discouraging week & it helped!

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will RUN and not grow weary, they will WALK and not be faint."
    Isaiah 40:29-31[/QUOTE]

Sworrel, I'm going to try xylitol...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sworrel:

Have any of you heard of an alternative sweetener called Xylitol that helps with bacteria...

I bought some & will try it. For convenience, would chewing gum sweetened w/it be just as effective?
    Faithful spouses are such a blessing. My husband has taken care of me for four years...