Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipation

narc

Constipation

I am a C-7 Quad with limited hand function. I use supps. which I insert myself. Every thing was fine until 2 days ago when I noticed alot of hard stool when inserted the supp. Now the supp. melts and falls out but the stool is too hard or large to move. What should I do. I can't disimpact myself due to poor hand fuction. I live alone. Should I go to the hospital.

how often?

hi...How often do you move your bowels? I've gone a couple days without a bowel movement at all. But I try and go every day. And I'm a complete injury. I digital stimulate. A couple days is not constipation. EAT BRAN EVERY DAY!

Before you make an ER visit, go to the pharmacist. Ask for an enema, explain your situation, and ask for suggestions. It's be really good if you had family that could help your out.

Eric Texley

You might try

you might try magnesium citrate. You can get hit at your local drug store without a prescription. It tastes like SH*t, but it usually works.

Opening the gates

Carl is right about the magnesium citrate. Or at least it did a great job on my husband's impaction. Just don't plan on going anywhere the day you drink it! It's powerful stuff. And then don't expect another bowel movement for a couple of days.

martha

Rocky Road

Drink more fluids, if your stool is hard-it is perhaps because your fluid intake is insufficient. Also, try a "Magic Bullet" suppository from Concepts in Confidence. Have someone root around your bunghole and pluck that lump of crap outta there-ask for help, but I wouldn't go to thr ER. HAVE BRAN, BAKED BEANS, VEGETABLES, METAMUCIL ETC.

balley

I take one Aciddolpius capsule every couple days and have never had a problem.There made up of the live culture you get from yogurt,without having to eat it.
    ........\/PEACE
    ~Shaun~

Constipation

Hard dry stool that you can still pass is constipation...stool that is stuck in your bowels, cannot be passed, and is associated with bloating, problems with breathing, AD, nausea, vomiting or even an ileus is impaction.

The latter can generally be treated at home with laxatives such as milk of magnesia, a small dose of magnesium sulfate (don't drink the whole bottle or you will be blasted out with lots of accidents), or Lactulose. An impaction requires medical attention.

Meanwhile, while you are taking care of the immediate problem, you should be increasing your activity, increasing your fiber intake, and increasing your fluid intake. Add a stool softener such as DSS (Colace). Have you recently started on any new meds? Often this can be the cause of new problems with constipation. (KLD)

magic bullet

The Magic Bullet is never good for more than one or two shots from me - the rest has to be digitally stimulated. Fleets bisacodyl used to have the same results.

Juice

I have found that when I drink Mango juice in the morning with my breakfast I have less problems with my bowels. One other thing I have noticed is that I go everyday, once a day. Also, I eat mostly veggies. It is a big part of my diet since I am on a hep diet. Almost no proteins nor salt and lots of fluids. Maybe this would work for some with this problem.

Raven

bran

Don't forget to eat bran. EVERY day. I find the BEST thing to do is to eat exactly what I ate before I got hurt. And I have ALWAYS eaten ceral to make my body work right and feel good.

Eric Texley