Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you afraid...

Are you afraid...

Last night I was chatting with PN and while we were conversing about my problems with my health, he asked me a question.

He asked me if I was afraid of dying. I have often thought of that and have come to the conclusion that I don't fear death. The only thing I dread is the road I would need to travel while I get there. I mean, I would hope that I could just go to sleep one day and never wake up, instead of getting sicker with time. I don't like the idea of going through the hospitalization(s) or the procedures they perform on us in their attempt to help us keep on living. One thing I have requested my doctor and my family is not to put me on artificial life support. I think it is very hard for one to watch a loved one going through such agony since I have seen people whom I cared for go through it. It has been so heartbreaking to watch the family plus the pain felt upon having to let go of a loved one.

I believe that I have been lucky in having lived these many years but I do feel very tired at times of having to continue living with all the problems brought on by illness and aging. I don't know if others feel this way but I have wondered just how many who have lived many years as SCI'ed feel this way.

Any thoughts?

Raven

I wasn't afraid when I was drowning, and I'm not afraid now. All I fear is a long, lingering death.

Been there, donethat.

Not afraid. Just want it to be quick and I'm not turning around this time.

im afraid of dying 24 hours before cure is found. that would be the mother of all sucks.

Absolutely not. Should have happened 15 years ago, and been waiting for it a long time. Just hoping the actual process when it does happen is quick, painless and within my control.

I went skydiving last week. On the way up to 13,500' I began contemplating my life. Although I am only 32, I feel I have led a full life. Because of SCI, I have experienced a lot of great things and have met many incredible people. I was ok with the fact I could die then and there. Then I chickened out! Just kidding, I jumped.

... ...

worse than death is...
    Being Old and disabled and becoming increasingly more dependant.

Well.. maybe the maggots burrowing through your dead body as they eat away at your decaying flesh....

not afraid i mean this is hell isn't it???

I agree with chick. Being old and dependent is what I fear most.

Death is no big thing after this crap..

I also have no desire to be an old quad.