Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: a verse for inspiration

Originally posted by JLB:

Lindox,

Many also believe that without god, all things are possible.

... ...
    JLB,
    As I look through the entire spectrum of Nature..I realize without God..there would
    be nothing. I have searched and searched to find just one valid man created anything that
    didn't involve utilizing something already
    created. I couldn't find one thing.

And through nature learned that yes..all isn't peaceful and harmonious. But..seems
    to be following a path that is unknown yet
    so carefully regulated. We are made in the image of God. The brain tells me this.
    We are as his children given the freedom
    of choice. That is why we aren't programmed
    with the amazing instincts of many of the other species. And yes..population control
    is in the picture..that is why the top of the food chain is predated on by the minutest
    particles on Earth.

I feel yes, God has granted some of his children with the wisdom of curing. Maybe not
    in the spectacular ways shown by Jesus in the Bible..but just as miraculous when done in
    his way. I feel God is the ultimate scientist. When he opens up his lab and invites his creation, man, to enter and they
    don't use this option...Well how much more
    can a father do?

Ultimately though..as in the natural world..
    Injury, disease and death will always be
    utilized until we go on the next part
    of God's plan.

[This message was edited by Lindox on 07-19-03 at 04:47 PM.]

Originally posted by Steven Edwards:

Wow Scott, thanks for replying. I think you're the first person to ever attempt answering this for me.
    *takes a bow*
    Before I go any further, which do you think the Bible is more strict about? I would assume the 10 Commandments, but I may be wrong.
    this is a good place to clarify before going further in discussion... you ask what scripture is more strict about (10 commandments vs. seven deadly sins). In my understanding, the 10 Commandments are the ones directly given by God. The 7 deadly sins supposedly emerged from early study and interpretation of the [Greek] New Testament.

I don't know of any direct references to the 7 deadly sins. I read up on them a little, and supposedly Jesus only directly mentioned pride, covetousness, gluttony and sloth... but even so they are just passing references... nothing like "you shall not..." The notions behind anger, envy, & lust indeed being actions harmful to spiritual "health" are found in scripture, but not to the same effect as the 10 Commandments.

Aside from what's more important, it's key to understand that, in God's eyes, sin is sin. Easy as that. It's part of human nature.

The Bible tells us in Romans 3:23 that "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." On top of that, Romans 6:23 states "the wages of sin is death..." so if you look at it from this perspective, it doesn't matter what "sin is more important" ...they all hold the same weight & end up in [spiritual] death.

however, the grandeur of the Christian faith goes way beyond that. The last 1/2 of Rom 6:23 tells us that the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus.

getting wrapped up in what's sin & what isn't will just lead to a legalistic list of "do's & don'ts" -- which is NOT what the Christian faith is about! Instead of worrying about what to do or not do, all it takes is understanding & believing the message of the cross... what Christ has DONE for us.

so basically what I'm getting at through all this is that worrying about what the Bible is more "strict" about isn't the right approach, in my opinion, to understanding the basis of Christianity... because according to God, sin is sin.

hope this makes sense.

~ scott

thanks for this post joey...and all subsequent posts on this thread by others. this is an excellent discussion that is definitely in the right place. in dealing with constant pain, discomfort and inconvenience associated with sci...i often find it difficult to focus on anything but my physical condition... which is sad because it is only temporary...i mean, no matter how long i live, it is short compared to eternity. i'm reminded of Jesus' question "what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, if he loses his soul?"

wether we are able-bodied or disabled, we are physically perishing day by day...we're all terminal...no way around it. but Jesus gives us hope for eternity...spiritual life...what is more important than the eternal condition of our soul?

as a believer and follower of Jesus, i take solace in the apostle paul's words to the corinthians...

"therefore we do not lose heart. even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. for our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. for the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal." 2 corinthians 4-16-18

thanks again,
    dusty

Originally posted by jmublueduck:

this is a good place to clarify before going further in discussion... you ask what scripture is more strict about (10 commandments vs. seven deadly sins). In my understanding, the 10 Commandments are the ones directly given by God. The 7 deadly sins supposedly emerged from early study and interpretation of the [Greek] New Testament.
    I phrased that question poorly. Maybe I should have asked which the Bible references more, but you answered that for me.

Aside from what's more important, it's key to understand that, in God's eyes, sin is sin. Easy as that. It's part of human nature.
    Got that. The above question was solely for purposes of phrasing the next question properly.

hope this makes sense.

~ scott
    Very much so, but I still have questions; I'm inquisitive like that.

Okay, the tenth commandment deals with jealousy. "Thou shalt not covet" and such. So... if our goal is to become closer to God and more like God -- and God is admittedly a jealous god -- why can't we be jealous? He is, from what I understand.

Again, my deep thanks.

-Steven

Steven if I may jump in, to covet is different than being jealous. the dictionary portrays covet as: to desire (what belongs to another) inordinately or culpably. what the 10th commandment is telling us is, in it's most basic form is to respect our neighbor. don't go after their spouse, their house, ox or donkey (cars or trucks).
    Jealousy on the other hand is: intolerant of rivalry or unfaithfulness. scott compared it to a marriage relationship, i can't think of a better example.

Philippians 4:4-7

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joey M:

I know this post will get mixed reactions, but I believe if anyone needs to read this it is sci victims like ourselves...

"Our bodies now disappont us, but when when they are raised, they will be full of glory. They are weak now, but when they are raised, they will be full of power."
    1 Corinthians 15:43

It's so awesome to me when I think about it. No matter how much crap I have to go through because of this injury, it's going to be temporary. Then comes the good stuff. I will have a body full of power and glory for eternity!

>>For some people, especially those who are living with a condition like SCI, this belief (above quote) can provide the hope and promise, of something better, something that makes this current state worthwhile, the struggles more endurable.... but at the same time, it can divert one's attention away from the here and now, away from CREATING for themselves TODAY, a life that is purposeful and glorious within a body that has been weakened through injury. All this "crap' may be temporary, but waiting for "the good stuff - to have a body full of power and glory for eternity " seems resigning oneself to a weakened powerless body, and being subject to a less than glorious Self...because of some promise of something better...LATER.
    But then again.. having FAITH in something, whether religious or not, can influence one's state of mind and sense of contentment, giving them a sense of purpose and meaning that enables them to persevere through the 'crap', which ultimately allows them to live a life that is meaningful and happy (hopefully)

Jesus gave us a new comandment to love thy neighbor as thyself, knowing that all of the ten comandments were captured in that one command. This is not easy to do and takes a life time of trying, but God forgives and his mercy endures forever

Steven, Jesus had what is called righteous anger, anger in greek has several meanings.
    The sin of anger has revenge at its core.
    Lets say you are going to church and when you get there you see it is full of telemarketers conducting there business, you would be angry and most likely protest and throw a couple of phones around
    Jimmy Mack

Originally posted by Steven Edwards:

Okay, the tenth commandment deals with jealousy. "Thou shalt not covet" and such. So... if our goal is to become closer to God and more like God -- and God is admittedly a jealous god -- why can't we be jealous? He is, from what I understand.
    Steven - Joey answered this well. The 10th commandment deals more with posessions of others, and going beyond a "I want that" attitude, but getting into the basis of envy, resenting the fact that you don't have [whatever]. The Lord knows our needs & desires for us to find contentment in Him. God's jealousy is different than coveting, as mentioned in the example of marriage (which I believe is quite alright for us to be jealous about too, providing a marriage relationship is present). Make sense?

man... good questions though!
    by chick:
    .....but at the same time, it can divert one's attention away from the here and now, away from CREATING for themselves TODAY, a life that is purposeful and glorious within a body that has been weakened through injury. All this "crap' may be temporary, but waiting for "the good stuff - to have a body full of power and glory for eternity " seems resigning oneself to a weakened powerless body, and being subject to a less than glorious Self...because of some promise of something better...LATER.
    Chick - understandable... but faith effects much more than the long term. All through scripture you can see how it affects the here & now. This isn't saying it's about living in a little "faith bubble," but allowing God to be a daily guide. If you have a bible around, check out Psalm 37 (for an example from scripture).... Christianity isn't just about sitting back & waiting for God to open the eternal doors.

~ scott

Joey, you misinterpret.
    It said something alike people or SYSTEMS.
    And people referring to an example I gave before.

Jimmy:

Forget the profile.
    First with the age stuff thought it just some sniffing whatever, and stuck in the one they had as example. And later tried to blank it, and didn't let me. Forget what I stuck there then. Maybe 1.1.1911. Sort of 1-ing whatever goes.

Note: 92 year old people here do not tend to understand as much English as I do here, nor tend to pop acid as I do.

(Usually if I cannot select in such a fill-out thingie myself what I wish to leave blank,
    I might merrily invent next.
    Ain't like someone trying to force-sniff data.)

"that you have a brain injury?" Yes.

(Seems I was born MBD, direction so-called autism. Plus later a concussion.

And various to me minor stuff.)

"It certainly would explain alot."
    How do you mean?

With God(esse)s aspects I wrote what I think.

Including something alike, even me old egocentric, and without loving someone,
    but even just neutral,
    if I were allmighty,
    I'd fix spines.
    Shouldn't be the biggie then.

... And if I were to love an SCI,
    even without being almighty,
    guess I'd try at least sort of some LSD magic scans, if there's anything registering I can do.
    If I were to love someone, even if it's not C or upper T.
    Meaning simplified stuff outright against my usual politics.

And if I were to love a C-er, I might do some real shit to my systems,
    just to at least generate some energetic connections between various systems there.

So the concept of some god, supposed to have the power to do everything, supposed love someone,
    and not use this power and just watch someone suffer,
    is beyond me.

Sounds more as some mental crutch belief concept to me.

Apart from that, I made quite clear, that while I don't wish to exclude artificial intelligences might exist billions of years,
    with beings having come naturally to exist I doubt that such exist.

Even if such were to exist for theory, how should come there is just one.
    Where should that one be from?
    Just having popped up?

Maybe if just into belief stuff there,
    the illogic of that is just ignored.