Thread: Magneseum citrate...be verrry careful with it

Magneseum citrate...be verrry careful with it

Needed to get uncorked shall we say, so the gf got a bottle of magneseum citrate from the drug store. Of course she didnt tell me just how powerful it is (I wouldnt have took it otherwise if I knew). So anyway, it cleared me out, very well, last night. Fast forward to today: Got to get to outpatient rehab and drop her off at the spa for her spa day birthday present, of course we wake up late and just pile out the door to get to where we are going, neglecting to take the time to see if that funny stuff I drank last night really stopped working. So I drop her off, head to rehab, start doing some dips on the parallel bars...and what's that smell? Uh oh. Get some towels, line the car with them (good thing I didnt explode in the new car with leather seats, now that would suck) and spend the next two hours going again on the toilet/showering/washing the wheelchair cushion. I guess I can call this my first 'accident' in public, what fun

Tip of the week: Need to get uncorked? Magneseum citrate will do the job, quite spectacularly, just make sure you are not doing anything the next day

Andy,
    That stuff is like a bomb. Next time take half the bottle.

How big was the bottle? Was it 10 fluid oz? Wise.

Yep, 10 oz bottle of cherry flavored surprise, the whole bottle was the 'adult dose'. Worked for a total of 24 hours...go to cath, and pee another way while you at it Just make sure you do both otherwise you will be in for a mess.

ugh, magnesium citrate is my absolute LAST resort. it's SO harsh on the intestines. unfortunately, i had to drink 3/4 a bottle of lemon/lime flavored 3 days ago. it definitely takes a day or two to recover from it. we call it 'draino'.

"i am human and i need to be loved, just like everybody does" -- the smiths

I win this horror story! When I needed to have a colonscopy test I talked my insurance into an overnight stay for the "prep". The "prep" consisted of 5 bottles (yes the 10 ounce size) of magnesium citrate--the lemon-lime flavor. Then I learned how they managed to get my "prep" (maybe we should just call this the guts remover?) covered. I was on an IV drip so I wouldn't get dehydrated and had my BP checked most the night every 30 minutes or so.

The head medical floor nurse created a new way to use a colon collection device and a LOT of what felt like duck tape when it was ripped off. I was ready to wear a thong bikini after that ripping. Anyhoo...by the time I finished the 4th bottle of that crud over ice both I and the charge nurse said enough was enough and tossed the 5th bottle back in the fridge. I hope the doc drank it!

Moral of my story? Next time I need a colonoscopy done I'll skip it. I mean the test is nothing. But the prep? Not unless the doc doing it matches me bottle for bottle.

Oh yea, in the pre-op area my BP was 60/40 and the OR RNs were talking about canceling it! I said not after what I went through. Just open that IV up and I'll be fine. 5 minutes later I was back to my normal 90/60 and the anesthesiologist dcotor ok'd me for OR.

Use that stuff for a laxative? Beer works too, ya know? (Tastes better too).

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

you've got to admit it does work. I'd rather cut my wrists with a rusty razor blade than drink it but if you need unloaded there's nothing better.WR

How fast does a full bottle of mag citrate work?

Seems from responses, maybe begin taking effect and moving bowels next day from taking it- 12 hrs? and continuing for another day or 2?

I am supposed to take a full bottle 1 day and another full bottle the next day.
    egad, I am looking at sitting on toilet for 4 days straight?!
    I remember drinking a gallon of "go lightly" (stronger than MC) for surgery and don't remember it being so bad (except for the drinking part- ick).

Usually works in about eight hours for me. The few times I have taken it, I have taken it at bedtime and do BP the next morning. Usually one bottle is plenty and flushes everything out for me but I wouldn't get too far away from a bathroom.

Last year I am at the hospital for abdominal surgery
    a nice man comes in the room and say's just drink 3 of these
    I asked when ?
    He said Now he was a handsome Dr I must say

So I am in bed got myself all comfy watching the tele the iv sedative is making me tired which I thought would be good but burbling in my tummy I am all alone I look for my wheelchair it is supposed to be right next to my bed but Noooooooooo

Now a nurse must have moved my wheelchair 20 ft across the room from me

I pull the nurse call button but no nurse yet Holy moly !!!! Nooo I mumble to myself
    the innevitable

explosion and boy I was sooo embaressed

The nurse seen my embaressment and I said maam help me to the shower as I am too weak now and all tired from this IV hose thing in my arm
    She helped me get cleaned up I was so grossed out ....

Moral of the story is them 10 oz bottles of mag citrate are potent

I have a very weak stomach to smells like that but those 3 days I was in the hospital I was cleaned out lol