Thread: Ti Lite TRA owners...

Ti Lite TRA owners...

This TRA is my first chair, I just went with what my therapist recomended because I knew nothing about wheel chairs. At first, while in rehab, I was in a plain hospital chair, but they put me in a demo TRA which I stayed with until I left.

When my chair finaly came in, it was nothing like the demo I was in. In fact, it looks nothing like the pictures in the manual or on their website.

Here's a picture of the chair:

Notice how the part of the frame past the seat cushon bends inward. Mine isn't like that, it's just straight.

It's kind of hard to see in the picture, so here's a diagram that I downloaded from their web site:

The bars highlighted in red is what I'm talking about. On my chair they just come straight down, and that leaves a gap on either side of the foot plate.

When my legs spasm, they slide off the side of the foot plate, and when I try to turn around the caster wheels hit my feet and don't let them turn. Then I have to wrest;e with my feet to get them straight.

Why is my chair different? Did they just get lazy and decided not to bend the frame to save time? Is anyone else's chair like this.

That's main that I don't like about this chair. When I hit a bump and it causes a spasm, they will always work their way into that gap, and it's a pain to get them out.

If I could do it over again, I'd get just the TR. I have played with the seat back andgle, but thats it as far as adjustments go. At first I had it reclined back a bit, but now I've gotten better with my balance, I've moved it all the way forward. Every couple of weeks, it come unadjusted, and I have to put it back the way I want it.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Jim,

Have you contacted the distributor about the differences that surprised you? I am sure that they will have something to add. You should not have to keep readjusting...something must be wrong with that.

Mary

when i ordered my terminator the tapered front end was opional. Someone may have just messed up the order forum.

Your dealer ordered it that way. When ordering it there is the option for more (or less) narrowing towards the footplate, as well as down tube angle. Check out the www.tilite.com site and download the ordering PDF for the chair, you will see the options you have when ordering the frame.

jimnms,

I have the same chair with the same problem. I am going to see what can be done about it. Let me know what you do about yours. The dealer I got mine from sucks.

jimnms

I had the distributor fax me the order form for my TiLite TRC and did my own measurements. I do remember an option for the amount of taper on the bar you are describing.

Steve

I have the TR. My front bars curve inward some but it does not seem as dramatic as the diagram or photo you have. I assume your chair came with a calf strap. If not, that may be your problem. When I had a loaner chair without the calf strap my feet were all over the place.

Don't give up though. If the website showed something different than what you got maybe you can get an exchange from the dealer or manufacturer.

If your insurance bought the chair maybe you can convince them it is cheaper to replace the chair than pay for the injuries you may be headed for.

It's bad enough having a new spinal cord injury without having to deal with this other crap. We've all been there. Hopefully you have good doctors and therapists in your corner who will support you with orders and recommendations.

Good luck.

As a reference, this is supposed to be the maximum narrowing of the down tubes available for the TRA (-6 inches). This is a 18" seat width chair with 5 inch casters. I havent had the casters hit my feet yet, and they some nice size 13 snowshoes

Thanks for the replies. The therapist told me the TRA was a good first chair, and I agree, it is, because now I know what I want in a chair. My problem is Voc rehab picked up the bill for the chair. I haven't even had it a year, so would I be asking too much for a new one already?

The only thing I'd change is the frame, I can't stand t he straight bars, and the seat back. My balance has improved alot, and I don't think I need such a big seat back.

The only problem with getting a custom chair is not being able to try before you buy.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

When my terminator Ti first came the front end was all wrong (long story) so they took it back to the factory and changed what was wrong. They had to cut and re-weld it to make it right but it came out like new. If you haven't even had it a year they mught be able to do this for you.