Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pic of me and my new best friend...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

pic of me and my new best friend...

hey!

haven't posted here in a while, and I thought I would share a photo of me and my new canine companion. We've been home from training for 2 weeks now and everything is going well. He really takes the focus off of me in public and serves as an "ice breaker" also! It's just amazing how trained these dogs are and how much more independent they make you I would highly recommend a service dog to anyone!

I graduated last year w/ a successor dog!
    I couldn't live w/o one!!

Many congratulations to you.
    I was placed w my Service Dog in Dec '99
    Its awesome, your pictures are great!

I had the chance to work with a companion dog while I was in the rehab hospital. I'd love to have a companion dog, I'm just not sure if I really need one.

How long did you have to wait. The letter I got from canine companions said there is currently a 4 year waiting period! I've researched other places, but none are available in my area.

Can he/she push or pull a shopping cart and carry crocery bags? That is really the only thing I need help with.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Kyle, awesome photo - congrats.

Btw, what's his/her name?

You can train your own dog. I know several people who have done this due to the long waiting lists with most programs. Keep in mind that assistance and companion dogs are related, but not the same. Companion dogs are more for social interaction and stress reduction. Assistance animals do functional activities generally.

I also know several people who have paraplegic injuries and still have an assistance dog. They can pick things up off the floor, open/close doors, pull you up grades, even serve as a support to help boost yourself back up into the chair if you should fall. I had one client who trained his to do his quad coughs at night!

You can get lots of information about assistance animals at this site:

http://www.deltasociety.org/

Wow, Kyle...that is an awesome photo. I love dogs and I really love the way that dogs love us back. It totally amazes me.

Thanks for posting. If I didn't get married I would be in training right now.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Welcome to the bitter/SWEET world of an assistance dog. I love my pup as if she was my daughter... I'm training her on my own, she the sweetest, funniest, smartest, bratest girl I've seen. But IMO they r the best! However, as much as they r an ice breaker, people do not realize that they should talk to u b4 they talk to the dog. I've had quite a few fights over this... example, waiting in line to pay at a grocery store, pup sits, u turn your head opposorite way for a sec. and someone is whistling And doing all sorts of things to get her attention. You ask them to PLEASE not distract the pup and they act as if they were deaf, or they say yes okay and come pet the dog instead. grrrrrrrr...

Anyhow, enjoy, and I wish you the best! I really think everyone should have a pet (as long as they r not abusive to them) cause they sure make waking up worth while (even on rainy days).

...and the soul afraid of dyin'... That never learns to live...

hey Kyle! Your dog looks real nice Some day I'll train my dog to help my dad when he's at home by himself...she sure is a smart dog I love dogs myself! Good luck and congrats!

Holla Lataz!
    ♂♥KiTtY♥KaT♥♀