Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wal-mart parking again

I don't have SCI.

I *never* park for *any* reason in a handicap spot. More: when I notice someone -absolutely abled bodied- that park in those reserved space with any right to do it, I turn them out of position the right external mirror

~Fab~

We don't have exclusive van parking here, just parking places with lines marked off on one side. I don't necessarily have to have a handicapped place. I don't mind walking a long distance from the parking lot to wherever I'm going. All I require is enough room to get my door open all of the way, so sometimes I do have to take up a space where there are lines on the side.

Bethany, way to tell that guy what for! I was cracking up!! I was at the mall the other day going back to my car and a woman was leaving her vehicle she had parked in a HC place. She was about 30 or so, pushing a double strolling with 2 small kids in it. I was thinking to myself, "Ok, which one of you three is the disabled one??" I made eye contact with her and she quickly looked down. Fishy Oh well.

Stiggy~

If your reply was in reference to my comments, I guess my comment back would be to not judge until you are in the other person's shoes.

It takes a tremendous amount of time and energy for me to get around. Yes, I am not in a chair, but I don't think that that should make any difference. There are even times that I get so frustrated by how tired I am that I want to say shove it and grab my chair, cause it would certainly, at least for me, conserve energy. How much fun do you think it is to be going out somewhere to have fun, only to be exhasted by the time I get there and have to spend the next 30 minutes getting back enough energy to focus on why I came?

So "walk" or not, I wouldn't be so quick to judge. . .

Angela

Originally posted by AngelaandKC:

How much fun do you think it is to be going out somewhere to have fun, only to be exhasted by the time I get there and have to spend the next 30 minutes getting back enough energy to focus on why I came?
    A LOT more fun than not having the option to walk. You can have my power chair anytime you want it...

Originally posted by cjo:

Originally posted by AngelaandKC:
    How much fun do you think it is to be going out somewhere to have fun, only to be exhasted by the time I get there and have to spend the next 30 minutes getting back enough energy to focus on why I came?
    A _LOT_ more fun than not having the option to walk. You can have my power chair anytime you want it...
    Oh, very nice and tolerant- your mother would be proud I'm sure. So, should I start a thread on who's more deserving of the closest parking spot- someone who can barely walk, or someone who uses a powerchair? How about- do people who've been injured through their own bad judgement and stupidity deserve to be sneered at, while those who were injured by someone else's stupidity are elevated to 'super-crip' status? Or, if you have a congenital injury, you're better/worse off than someone injured after they became an adult? Do paras have it made cause they don't have to go through all the rigamarole that quads do? But gee, a quad just sits there and has an aide do all the work, while a para does their own transfers. Yeah, I can see some of you are having so much fun dealing with your injuries.

lass,

I did not intend to start an argument with you or Angela. Your mature response says a lot about you. A little defensive are we?

Yes, my mother would be proud if I could walk instead of using a power chair.

As for your other scenarios - go ahead and start the threads if you wish. I said nothing relating who is more deserving of parking spots, sneering, status, or pity. If you are implying that my post eluded to those scenarios, you are sorely mistaken.

Finally, I stand by my statement. I would give anything to have the option of walking. As far as your comment regarding transfers, do you think I enjoy relying on others for transfers if I could do them myself? I would much rather stick my own finger up my asshole than rely on an aide to do it. Perhaps you should ask your friend/boyfriend the same questions. Your ignorance astounds me.

[This message was edited by cjo on 05-30-03 at 07:06 PM.]

Gosh, we are not the enemy! When we get better, none of us will park in the freaking HC spots! Angela, I'm a lurching quad myself. It takes a lot of power to get anywhere. But I know it's better than how I started out-quadriplegia does suck.

You'd better get a big gun 'cause I'm not dead yet."
    ---The Bad Examples

Parking in a van designated spot when you dont need room to drop a ramp is just plain rude. No offense, but they are there for a reason, just 'parking lot vulture' around till something else suitable appears, everyone else does it. You didnt park in the wheelchair spots before your disability did you?

And on an other note, now that I have the opportunity to notice stuff like this, what is with the 400 lb heifer that gets handicap parking privilages, easy solution...stop eating more than your body burns...what a disabilty! And I love the people with a little limp or some other obviously minor ailment getting the handicapped parking privilages, geeze, you think that the extra 200 feet of walking they save by parking in the hc spots will really help during the 1/2 mile or so stroll they will take while visiting the mall, eh? Anyway, off my soapbox for now,

Andy

I think that people with severe walking impairments need the close handicap spots more than a power chair user or a manual chair user like myself who can push across a parking lot quickly and easily. My mom had a stroke a few years ago and now walks super slow with a cane and ankle brace, which also takes a lot of effort/energy for her...she definitely needs the closer parking more than someone who gets around well in a wheelchair. But handicap parking is first come first serve, if you have a placard you have the right to park there whether its van accessible or not, I don't think it's rude for someone not driving a van to park there if that's the only kind of handicap spot unoccupied. I drive a car so I need room to open my door all the way to get my chair out...I usually only park in handicap spots when there is no other places where I think I won't get blocked in when trying to leave. I wouldn't mind seeing people start putting the van accessible and wider handicap spots way at the end of the parking lots, but I doubt that will ever happen as I doubt the majority of wheelchair users would go for that.

cjo, read the quotes I posted. How can you say it is fun for Angela? Your being a quad does not negate what she has to go through. The fact that she uses more of her energy getting to the door of where she is going does not negate what you go through to get there. What on earth do I have to be defensive about? Your mother being proud if you could walk makes no more sense than if she is ashamed that you can't walk. It was luck, or fate, that paralyzed you, not a choice you made. As far as maturity of answers, instead of putting yourself in Angela's place, (empathizing) you focused on yourself.

Asking my bf the questions gets me these responses.....If he had a vehicle, he'd park at the end of the lot so he'd have room for the van, and use his powerchair to get where he's going. (Now, he uses the bus or his chair to get where he goes.) He doesn't care how anyone was injured- it all sucks. He's glad he had 18 years of being AB, but if all he knew was being handicapped, he probably wouldn't miss AB as much. Paras don't have it made, but he'd rather be one than a quad. He'd rather be the incomplete quad that he is tho than a complete para. (He can feel my touch all the way down to his toes, tho he can't tell he's scraped his foot in the pool.) He just laughed when I asked about his aide doing all the work.

And just what is it I'm ignorant of?