Thread: What's new in SCI LIVING?

What's new in SCI LIVING?

Hey you newbies and veterans. When I went through rehablitation I was so confused and disoriented I took any information greedily and hung on to it. Now 20 years post (c6 complete) I think there have been a lot of new "standards" or equipment for SCI. Need some fresh ideas.

Some days, recently I have been fighting an UTI that's run me into the ground, I would like some help. Perhaps just have someone take the garbage out. .

Form injury in 1982, I have been using 1980's " way of life. My goal being to live independently, so now I live by myself, a lonely old man <sarcasm>

I use an external catheter with a Bard leg bag, extension tubing and straps. All individual parts, which I need help assembling, what are other quads using? Night drainage bags, 2000ml, I hate getting up in the middle of the night to empty it, any changes?

What's going to happen when I'm in my 50's (around the corner) and I fall and I can't get up (the infamous commercial striking home), Baker act?

What happens to old quads?

Old quads never die.....they just roll away.

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Have you been having regular urodynamics and regular check-ups of your urinary system and other SCI health issues? If not, you may want to start doing this. There is a lot of new information out there, esp. about aging with a SCI.

By the way, Medline makes a 4000 cc. night bag (not the best quality bag in the world, but it is big)

http://www.medline.com/cgi/hsrun.hse...?GroupID=23911

Feel free to post any health related questions on the Care forum here. The SCI-Nurses can help answer your questions.

Originally posted by Cris:

Hey you newbies and veterans. When I went through rehablitation I was so confused and disoriented I took any information greedily and hung on to it. Now 20 years post (c6 complete) I think there have been a lot of new "standards" or equipment for SCI. Need some fresh ideas.

Some days, recently I have been fighting an UTI that's run me into the ground, I would like some help. Perhaps just have someone take the garbage out. .

Form injury in 1982, I have been using 1980's " way of life. My goal being to live independently, so now I live by myself, a lonely old man <sarcasm>

I use an external catheter with a Bard leg bag, extension tubing and straps. All individual parts, which I need help assembling, what are other quads using? Night drainage bags, 2000ml, I hate getting up in the middle of the night to empty it, any changes?

What's going to happen when I'm in my 50's (around the corner) and I fall and I can't get up (the infamous commercial striking home), Baker act?

What happens to old quads?
    I would check into taking a cranberry capsule, a good one, daily. I know that it is good for preventing bladder infections but not sure if it would be for a UTI. My sons doctor wont let him use the bag at night since he getting good sensory return there and the dr. was afraid it might mess something up, so he is still getting up ever night at 3, but then he has only been injured 5 months. We bought him a versatrainer (bowflex for wheelchair ppl) and he uses it every day. A little money but worth it, he keeps so strong. Obviously, I am a newbie but just thought I would let you know what my son is doing.

"Night drainage bags, 2000ml, I hate getting up in the middle of the night to empty it, any changes?"

In rehab (WWRC) they used the cheapest alternative when possible. I've been using gallon milk jugs since I came home 20-something years ago.

Somehow I knew it was going to be rough day. Started the coffee and then I went in and shower and shaved. Poured myself a cup of coffee and pushed backwards (in push chair) with one arm, and the coffee cup and the other hand. Having done this many times I was quite surprised when I proceeded to go upside down, landing on my head. Touching the back of my head to find a glob of blood I knew not the time to try to get back up by myself.

Untangling myself from the wheelchair I crawled to the phone, it did not work. Look across the room for the cordless handset and it was not its cradle. Crawled to the other side the apartment found the phone and called a buddy. This time he did not laugh.

After rinsing the blood out of my hair and putting ice on it I decided to take my wheelchair to the bicycle shop. I live at the top of the only hill in my part of Florida. Now in my power chair and pushing the manual chair, the manual chair does a 180 and proceeds to go down the hill. I quickly circle around go down a hill and cut it off about a quarter of the way down. Unfortunately stopping so quickly in the powered chair, sigh, was not a good thing. Luckily there was a spectator to pull me back into the chair.

I get the manual chair to the bike shop and it is not open yet. Then I am supposed to get a haircut. The lady who cuts my hair decided with a bloody lump on the back my head it would not be a good idea.

And the day just started, Sunday I decided I would have to replace the engine in my van. On Tuesday I lost my transmission. I am too old for weeks like this

Sometimes I wonder how long I will be able to continue to live by myself