Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heterotopic Ossification (HO)

Anyone have post operation experiences to share ? 2018
    Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

I’ve developed HO after a high femur break and a flap surgery, I’ve had a sci for 40 years so I’m not sure what can be done. Im thinking if I take ibuprofen it might slow bone growth? Please advise. the pain of sitting is really off the charts, even lying down it’s painful, not sure what can help. I have a pressure sore established on my isheum and it is not healing. Not sure what can be done aside of surgery,
    Last edited by lloydbcuz; 02-08-2019 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Forgot a question

I developed HO in my right hip/groin are in rehab, 1995. It was followed, matured and wasn't an issue and forgotten.
    Almost since my injury, I have intermittent intense pain at the right groin line that no-one seems to have an explanation or a cure for.
    ~A month ago I realized that my right leg was rapidly losing ROM to the point of pushing me back when sitting and making dressing the right leg and foot nearly impossible.
    Transferring in the shower is now treacherous; only a matter of time before I meet the floor.
    My primary care doc called for x-rays which confirm the HO AND indicate lessor amounts on the other hip!

I am disconsolate and pissed! Twenty three years of basically handling one crisis after the next. How much life do I have to miss? I'm 71
    I need to know who to trust with this situation. I will consult with Dr Kirshblum at Kessler first but would like any other coaching available. Thankyou, Phil
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I cannot help with your questions but offer my sympathy. Anything that limits ROM is very difficult to manage and just outright depressing. I hope you find help.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I developed HO in my right hip/groin are in rehab, 1995. It was followed, matured and wasn't an issue and forgotten.
    Almost since my injury, I have intermittent intense pain at the right groin line that no-one seems to have an explanation or a cure for.
    ~A month ago I realized that my right leg was rapidly losing ROM to the point of pushing me back when sitting and making dressing the right leg and foot nearly impossible.
    Transferring in the shower is now treacherous; only a matter of time before I meet the floor.
    My primary care doc called for x-rays which confirm the HO AND indicate lessor amounts on the other hip!

I am disconsolate and pissed! Twenty three years of basically handling one crisis after the next. How much life do I have to miss? I'm 71
    I need to know who to trust with this situation. I will consult with Dr Kirshblum at Kessler first but would like any other coaching available. Thankyou, Phil