Thread: I guess they're not too egar to sell.

I guess they're not too egar to sell.

I'm looking around for a condo or apartment to buy or rent so i can move some time this summer. So I got some information on a couple of condos for sale in the same building and went go look at them yesterday. One was vacant and one wasn't so i checked out the empty one first.
    When we got to the second one, the owner wouldn't let me onto the carpet with my chair. I'm not sure what his problem was but I thought that it was a pretty stupid thing to do if he wants to sell the place. So I stayed by the entrance for about 3 minutes while my dad and the realtor looked around and then left. They both thought it was a pretty stupid thing to do also and didn't want to stick around very long.
    I figure if the guy is going to be so inhospitable(sp?) he can keep his overpriced condo to himself. Plus it smelled like old people i'd just rip the carpet out anyways.

Thanks for the venting space.

What a dick. You're right. I've honestly never heard of a seller doing that before. See if you can get one of your AB friends to sneak a non-trained pup into the house to pee in one of his rooms or something, I dunno.

Good luck on finding a place. I just recently got a condo of my own, and I had to go through quite a few before I found one that worked with the chair. Are you looking at pre-modified places or are you buying a place and then fixing it up?

"asevennationarmycouldntholdmeback"

I figure most places out there will need a little work anyways, so if i find something for the right price i can use the savings for some minor rennos.

It's a good thing there was more than just that one to look at or i'd have driven an hour and a half for nothing.

nate, this may be a stupid question but did you explain to your realtor or the owners you're contacting that "you're in a chair and will it be a problem for you to see the unit in its entirety? (carpets or no carpets".

Your experience, on "the second one" as indicated in your initial post was discriminatory to say the least.

Changing the scenario to explain my point - What if you were by yourself, walking and had on muddy shoes? Would the owner trying to sell you not let you see the place because your shoes were dirty? Would he make you stand in the threshold without checking the place out?
    I don't think so.

Whether we like it or not our wheels are generally our shoes. To discriminate against our "shoes" would be ridiculous to an able-bodied individual. The same should apply to wc users who can't help it if our "shoes" are dirty.

I am constantly amazed at how stupid people can be and are. This guy trying to sell this condo sounds like he's president of his class.

Good luck finding the right place.

The realtor knew but I didn't talk to the owners before hand.

There was carpet going from the elevator to the condo and it was a dry day, dirt wasn't an issue at all. I think he just lacked sales and common sense.

I was thinking about your situation last night. If this guy is selling his condo on the open market, and refused to let you see the place because you're in a wheelchair, that is outright discrimination. I think this guy needs to be slapped around.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think you could end up with a free condo if you play your cards right. Is the guy selling it through a realtor?

If it were me, I'd call the realitor and tell them he refused to let you see the place. Maybe they can force him to show it to you, then I'd go back with muddy tires and roll all over the place, then say I'm not interested and leave.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

You did not want his condo anyway...it smelled..

LOL!!

I just bought a house over the weekend, and while I was going through, I was figuring out how it would be made accessible for dis friends, and I took my shoes off before I walked on the tan carpet thinking...yeah...this carpet won't last....oh well...if it makes you feel better Nate, I would let you in any day!!!

Your home is out there..keep looking...

Mary

He let me see it, he just wouldn't let me wheel on the carpet, which meant that i only saw what i could see from within 3 feet of the door.