• I remember there was a topic and a poll

5 55.56%
  • I have been here less than 2 years

2 22.22%
  • I don't remember anything

1 11.11%

Thread: Help me remember

Help me remember

Does anyone remember a discussion about info posts on this board? (clippings from the media as posts).

Was there a conclusion or consensus?

Is there a reason I am not able to find this 'thread' or poll?

There appears to be inconsistencies in the maintenance of this computer system. We have designated forums entitled abilities and disability news, general news, health and science news, spinal cord injury news. These are the subforums of just one of the six main forums.

However the life board is inundated with posts of those specific subforum subject matters. Was there any point in creating these sections to start with and now that they're not being used should we eliminate them?

The reason I am posting this is that one of my post was moved to a different section, and I was never notified, I wonder why the double standards. Are some moderators doing this and others not? Is it the administrator or the analyst running the site failing to maintain or enforce the segregation of posts?

What is the current rule regarding posting in specific sections and then the subsequent moving of these posts?

Cris,
    Many are having difficult with the search engine, thus the problem finding the thread.
    As a moderator, I rarely move posts and I myself make errors in which Forum I post. don't recall a thread of yours being moved.
    Please let me know the "topic" of that post as well as the posts that you feel should be elsewhere. I will review them if you like.
    As an FYI, any moderator can move any post but the standard is to "ask" the moderator of the particular forum.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia!"----- Charles Schultz

Cris,

I am the administrator of this site and take responsibility for this site. The moderators monitor the forums and occasionally take steps to move topics to more suitable forums. When these forums first started, people posted news articles on this site to let other people know what is happening in spinal cord injury care, cure, and life. Last year, some people complained about the number of news articles cluttering the forums. To address this complaint, we created the news forums and encouraged people to post news articles there. In fact, due to the efforts of Max and others, we have probably the best and up-to-date SCI news on the web. However, some people are contining to post those news articles in the forums that they think are most likely to be read.

The goal of the community forums is to get people to discuss issues and exchange information. Although there are news articles that will provoke discussion, it is often hard to tell which one will attract the interest of the community. Thus, we have not imposed a hard and fast rule that no news articles are to be posted in the community forums. On the other hand, we do not want the community forums to be cluttered with too many news articles that would dilute discussion.

Therefore, I would like to propose the following for discussion:

1. People should not post news articles without commentary in the Community Forums. If they just want to post the articles without commentary, they should do it in the News Forums.

2. People can initiate discussion by linking to a news article in the News Forum. For example, I post research articles in the Research Forum and initiate discussion by commenting and linking to topics in the Research forums.

3. If a news article is posted and does not get much attention or posts, it will be moved by the moderators to the appropriate News Forum.

Wise.

P.S. Our service provider recently moved the forums to a new computer and are in the process of rebuilding the index files for the database. I think that is the reason why the search function may not be yielding the topics that are being searched for. I have been in contact with them and this should resolve soon.

I agree with Dr. Young's suggestions. The news articles clog this forum the most, along with Sports. I appreciate the efforts of Max and others to post interesting news articles, but most get zero responses and should be posted and/or moved to the news forums.

I can support option number one and subsequently option number two. However option number three concerns me. This methodology appears to give the posts an artificial death and leads to moderator subjectivity.

When I visit the care cure bulletin board I never go to the second page of the topics. And after a post reaches the second page and the moderators archive this post to a different forum, it may make searching the archive the easier.

I visit this site at least twice a week (sometimes every day) and visit the care, cure and life forums. This works well unless there is an over abundance of information posts. I do not believe every user goes to every forum in this site, and this conclusion is supported by the number of views related to the topics in each of the forums.

I suggest that the life board allow any topics that contains commentary to be posted and in this way it will be seen and have the opportunity to be discussed by the majority of users of the board.

If it does not generate the discussion needed to keep it on the first page, the moderators can archive it as you see fit.