Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anti-tippers

anti-tippers

Just woundering how many people have anti-tippers on their chair. And how long before they took em off?? I keep getting asked when i am going to shed mine. Now I look at them as training wheels. I guess Im just afraid of falling.

I always tip my waiter or waitress.

I'm in an electric wheelchair so I am definitely not taking them off!

-Lewis

i still use them on my manual chair, > 4 years post. i prefer how the chair looks w/o them, but i live in an area with too many hills... they've saved my skull several times... plus, i've raised mine a good bit so i can tilt back on them & sit in a quasi-recline position. i'm c6/7, fwiw.

I striped my chair down the min. I got home from the Hospital..no side arms,no anti-tippers and no handles in the back for someone to push me. Smile..its a Sunny Day! Stiggy

"The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"

Mr. Murphy is just dying for me to take mine off!

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

took mine off for good less than a year after my injury. They hold you back from being able to do certain things in your chair, my chair is set-up super tippy and I rarely flip it. Start Taking them off just while your at home and get use to it, it shouldn't take long.

I still have mine on. I was thinking of taking them off, I haven't "used" them in a while. I do like jmublueduck and have mine raised up so I can sit reclined.

I just know if I take them off I'd forget and do something stupid.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I took mine off one day and was so use to having them on that I tipped back forgetting and well the rest is history. I think now that it is summer I could see how I do, I think it would be awesome to learn how to jump curbs and go down them etc which i hear is impossible with tippers.
    Maybe I can turn my tippers into a winter thing

I'm with stiggy. No arms, no tippers, and no handles. Learn how to fall AND how to get back in. You will soon discover no need to look for a down ramp. Pop a wheelie and down ya go. Going up depends on height.

"Often our suffering or the suffering of others blinds us to the reality that the sovereign God is working His own good purposes through a fallen world"

I'm in full agreement with Pat (wheelinarcher). Just wheels, a back and a cushion. As a C6-7 quad I keep working on balance etc. by having the minimal on my chair. I'm now using a J2 Extreme back mounted one click up from the lowest setting. I'm a little squirrely but getting better. It forces me to try and use my abs / paraspinals.