Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooring-laminate, lino or tile?

Flooring-laminate, lino or tile?

The contractors say laminate wont hold up to w/c use and say go for lino...i'd rather not, laminate is what I want but what about tile?

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

I have tile in my home and its great. Easy to roll on, very durable and easy to clean. Given those three choices, I'd go with tile hands down.

I have a wood floor with a thick coating of whatever it is the manufacturer puts on it. It's smooth and tough enough for wheelchairs and dog toenails. It looks good and the cost is about the same or less than the cost of tile. It doesn't require the maintenance that a plain wood floor needs. After 3 years of use, my wheelchair and 2 active dogs haven't made much of a dent. I've heard that it holds up well with kids too.

Tile is a tough material, but I'm a weak pusher and I tend to have trouble pushing on tile.

cost numbers

Tile is going to cost you anywhere from $2.50 to $3.50 per square foot to lay down IN LABOR COSTS. Variables depend on things like having to remove rugs or other materials. Also, will they have to pour any of the leveling compounds, and will they have to "tape" any slab cracks that become apparent, once the slab is exposed. Also, will they have to move and re-locate furniture. If all of these variable apply to you, then $3.50 per sq foot is actually cheap. Then there is the charge to "seal" the grout. Usually not included in the $3.50.

Another question is how the tile will be laid and matched to walls. Will you use some sort of wood stripping or will you have precise tolerances for tile matching the edges of the walls. Also, who will "cover" your clothes and furniture, because the dust from the operation is beyond belief.

There is also the cost of the tile. Tile sizes can be up to 13x13 inches on the large size. Styles include rough look (Mexican) or smooth and shiny (Italian). The tile outlets have this stuff at prices ranging from $1.00 to $3.50 per sq ft for the tile, itself. One thing to know is that once a pallet is opened, there needs to be some idea that the tile is all within 1/64th of an inch in all being the same size. And if you mix pallets, then tile from one pallet might not be within the 1/64th tolerance of tile in the second pallet, even though both are the same style.

I have tile. It is nice. All these wolves were contended with when we laid the stuff. It helps to have a check list of all the vairables so that everyone is singing from the same hymn book.

We considered Prego laminant. As I recall, it cost more than tile. Not so sure about today's market. HArdwood flooring has the same questions.

If you ever want to trade a few emails on the check list, let me know

I have hardwoods floors, Carpet and Lino in the Kitchen. The one taking the most beating is the carpet, the chair beats it up pretty bad. The Hardwood floors and Lino is holding up fine. They do make some pretty nice Lino these days. I have a nice black with white squares in my kitchen and it looks great.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I have cork tiles. They are great and easy to clean. Like most tiles they become slippery when wet.
    Andrew

"You can stand me up at the gates of hell
    But I won't back down"
    Tom Petty

Where is this flooring supposed to be? Would real wood be out of the question? Was the contractor talking real linoleum or vinyl? Real linoleum could be cool if you do an inlay and play with multiple colors.

Tile is nice but can be spendy. The really neat tiles are rough and there's always the grout lines. The gaps between the tiles might be a problem for you. Keeping the grout clean is a lot of work, too.

You could go with marble or granite tile--one that is polished to almost mirror finish. Those tiles are typically laid tight together. That would be nicer to roll over. You should check to see if any sub-floor modifications would need to be made for that, though. Typically the sub-floor must be very rigid.

Think about hardwood, though, if your sold on laminate. Might be a bit more expensive up front but cheaper in the long haul. Real wood is probably the easiest to repair if it gets damaged since nothing but the finish need be removed.

We just had some second grade maple (Canadian) laid this past week and it is gorgeous. Much more character than any laminate, oak or even number one maple. We have to wait to move furniture back on it and I'd almost like to leave the room empty so as not to cover any of the new floor.

Good luck in your decision.

Tile also increases the value of your home. Just removed wood (Pergo) that got damaged from puppy training. Wouldn't put that stuff down. It took two work men 5 days of solid work to remove it from a 9 by 11 Florida Room.Can't fix pieces either. Its very thin and colors will never match.I have tile through out my entire house, no carpet. Easy to roll on, wipe up leaks, and dust and dirt can be easily removed. An extra box of matching tile is good insurance in case one chips or cracks. My two cents.

My renovations are being done by Workers Compensation. In the bathroom/wheel in shower they are doing tile ( 1.75 Canadian per square foot is the max they will pay), but the rest of the house with carpet will be replaced with hard flooring. They recomend linoleum, as they say laminate doesn't stand up to w/c use, they will pay 5.00 canadian per square foot. We've found some lino that we like but still prefer the look of laminate but we aren't clear on whether they will let us, or how much per square foor they will pay. We have the option of paying the difference but can't afford it.

Theres going to be lots done starting May 7th (hopefully). We will have to stay in a hotel as they are completely remodeling the bathroom, enlarging the bedroom, modifying the kitchen, moving the front door (taking away ramp), installing an elevator at the side door, building a car port, creating an area of refuge at the front door in case a fire disabled the elevator (I guess they think I can throw myself down the steps....).

Thank God I was injured at work-I don't know how I could afford this otherwise. Even though the beauracratic B/S SUCKS!!

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Linoleum Can look real nice if you select the right type, here is a pic I just took of my kitchen floor. The whole thing looks like the front part, in the picture looks yellowed on the back part, think I need a better digital camera.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred