Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What got you into the wonderful world of SCI? Photo thread!

1979 Honda CBX

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curtis:

Oh man, that is one cool bike! I remember about 10 years ago the local Honda dealer had one of these...Brand New with about 20 miles on it. It had the Honda fairing package too in beige, that thing was tempting. Only thing was that it was used in some sort of motorcycle mechanic's school, so you knew it was ripped apart and put back together many, many times, so I passed on the novelty of getting it. Are those Ohlins shocks I see on the back of your bike?

Andy

Cool bike indeed. Much better than my first bike... an '81 Honda CX500 Custom. Those old Honda's could take a real beating. Reliable as hell.

It was so long ago, I cant even remember what kind of Gas Shocks those where, I do remember putting them on though, that and the 6 into 1 pipe, it sounded so sweet. That was one incredible motor on that bike, even at 130 mph it was completely smooth. I guess these bikes in good shape are worth some good money today, they are a collectors item. They only made these bikes 1979 and 1980 I believe. In 1981 they came out with the V 4s and they have kind of revolutionized what bikes are today. The Inline 6 was a little on the wide side. That bike was my baby, I bought it brand new up in Maine while I was in college. It was not too badly damaged in the wreck, I remember having to sell it out of my wheelchair, that and my 5 speed red Chevy Monza that I had at the time. Memories. Thanks guys for the compliment. Andy and Mike, those look like fine machines that you both had. Guess that CBX was the last Motorcycle I will ever ride.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

[This message was edited by Curtis on 04-28-03 at 01:18 AM.]

Curtis, Gold and Blue colors on those shocks might have been Ohlins, the holy grail of suspension nowadays. Speaking of the V4's, those were something else, I had a V65 Sabre for a little bit, beater bike, but it still had a lot of things going for it with some 70K miles on it. What really pisses me off is that I have to sell a bike out of my wheelchair as well, my BMW, arrgh. Unless there is some way to bungee cord myself to it and have some outriggers that extend at a stop so it doesnt tip over

They do make outriggers for motorcycles. They extend at stops and have rollerblade wheels on them. I believe BMW may even make them for their own bikes.

In the past I have seen a Goldwing with something like that...but cant find any info on something like this. Do you know someplace on the net for more info on this?

Andy

gpbullock,

Not outriggers but sidecars. I met a guy two summers ago who was a T2 para and riding a Harley Davidson sidecar motorcycle. Stowed his chair in the sidecar.

Needless to say I was blown away when I saw him get on and take off - without a helmet no doubt!

There's a place in Ft. Collins CO that does the mods (hand controls, etc) for about $20k I'm told.

I'll try and find/post more info if I can find it.

Nothing's impossible if you want it bad enough.

Link

Chris and Vicki, here is a link for an example of the outriggers I was talking about. I have seen a production model on another motorcycle but can't remember the manufacturer. Here is the article that I found where a para uses a set of "homemade" outriggers.http://www.accessibility.com.au/news...es/goddard.htm

Rolled this brand new (back in 93) piece of crap Saturn several times and was thrown out some how...passenger had seat belt on and walked away with a few scratches.