Thread: medical terminology question

medical terminology question

Okay,
    I just recently reviewed some of my medical records and am having a problem with a couple terms.

#1 "Physical exam reveals antigravity movement in the lower extremities though cocontractions of antogonistic muscles are noted."
    WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

#2 I know I am considered an incomplet quad, but what does "ASIA class D" mean?

Terminology

Here is an explaination of the ASIA scale:

http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28317

The first question has to do with the fact that they found you have some grade 3 (out of 5) muscles in your lower extermities, but that the opposing muscles also contact when you try to move them. This may be helped by the use of some low dose anti-spasticity drugs, and may give you more functional use of your extremities. A good PT can also help you to learn to isolate these muscles better.

Keep in mind that all VA SCI Centers are different, although all are required to meet the standards of care set in the M2, Part XXIV VA regulations. You have the right to go to a different one if you are not happy with the one you have been attending. Keep your annual checkup appointments. They are your right, and a valuable asset. Talk to your PVA NSO if you don't feel you are getting the care you need. (KLD)

you're the best

I actually just found out about the ASIA scale. I had no idea about that thing. Kinda weird, I guess I'm just a little ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

As far as the VA goes. I hate the VA. I can not stand to go there and be around all of those people. I really do not fit in well there at all.

I don't mind the docs too much. They help out a lot and are even ordered me a brand new chair which I cant wait to get.

Is my situation a common thing? Class D with pretty much "normal" B & B?

Spineyboy, I don't think ASIA D is common at all ... ya lucky bastard!

~Rus

statistics

spineyboy - My searching of some of the statistics revealed primarily information re: percentages of complete vs. incomplete and quad vs. para. Since 1990 there has been an increasing number of incomplete quadriplegics. there has also been in increasing proportion of incomplete injuries and a decreasing proportion of complete injuries. The University of Alabama, Spain Research Center, www.spinalcord.uab.edu is the National SCI Statistical Center. CRF