Thread: master chair mechanic.....NOT

master chair mechanic.....NOT

Well, the good news is, the bf got his chair back today. Last time it was in the shop was to see what all needed fixing on it...from the broken weld, busted footrest, no brakes, a motor you could hear half a block away- yanno, the usual stuff for a chair that's 4 1/2 years old and ridden by a maniac
    They ordered all the parts, parts finally came in, they took the chair Monday, saying it'd be back Wednesday. Course, by my calendar, today's Thursday, but he got it back this afternoon. Off to the video store and mall we go and I can't believe how quiet it is...amazing how bad it was before. We run into some friends at the mall, start swapping chair war stories (one of the friends uses a chair too), say seeya later AND HIS CHAIR WONT MOVE!!! Now this is all of 2 hours since it was dropped off. It powers up, it tilts, it just wont move.
    I am NOT mechanically inclined, but know a 'bit' about electronics. Start at the power switch and begin tracing wires, looking for, um, well, something obvious. Wiggle this, push that...every time I say 'Try it now' and nothing happens his frustration level kicks up another notch. Finally get down on the floor, half sitting and half lying, hoping my fingers aren't gonna somehow get mashed. Wiggle a lil blue doohickey (OK, it was a fuse...I'm pretty sure it was a fuse....mighta been a fuse anyway). 'Try it now' and off he rolls, happy camper status restored.
    Coulda been worse- I had on a pale yellow sweatshirt whose status is still 'new' and some jeans. The floor of the mall was clean so the only thing that got dirty was my hands. Jeans are much better suited to scooting around on a floor than a dress would have been. Our friends hung around for moral support. We weren't in the dark, dirty, cold, rainy parking lot. And, I fixed the !@#*#$^&*@^#%!@*$ chair...almost hurt myself patting myself on the back tho

Good job, Lass. Keep that circuit breaker location in mind. You might need it again.