Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: In-home care options

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA USA

    In-home care options

    This is my first posting on this message board, so please forgive me for any redundancies or 21-year-old niece is a newly-injured "incomplete quadraplegic," as the doctors term it. She lives in Florida near Fernandino Beach with her 23-year-old husband and 2-year-old son. She was involved in a horrific automobile accident in November. While waiting at a traffic light, a garbage truck went out of control and landed on top of her car. Because she has no health insurance, we are having trouble finding in-home care for her. At this point, her husband is providing all of her care, because all of her other family members live in Pennsylvania. Does anyone out there know anything about home health care agencies in Florida? Any ideas how to get her the help she needs down there?

  2. #2
    Sorry to hear about your niece.

    It's very important that they find a good reputable agency. One that is affiliated with a good hospital nearby is a good place to start. Check the yellow pages, all the major agencies will be listed there. Make sure that they screen their staff, i.e., Background checks and proper certification. You don't want someone in your house that you can't trust.

    Best of luck!


  3. #3
    Senior Member Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Argao, Cebu, Philippines
    Hi CathyB. I too am sorry to hear about your neice. We here know all too well what this kind of injury is like.

    I wonder if any innovative solutions could be developed? Like could a family member from Pennsylvania come down for a few months to help out? The stress on the husband must be horrible right now.

    And what level injury does your neice have? If she's a C7 or even C6 or below, then she might be able to achieve her independence over the next several months.

    Unfortunately, getting help really means money. Sometimes even when you do have insurance. I think this young family really needs to explore every option. Your neice can probably become educated and employed through Florida programs and gain insurance that way. Before meeting a long term goal like that, however, they probably need to discuss every option with a local social worker.

    Independent living centers are often helpful.

    I hope you can aid them in finding the help they need. I lived in Florida but don't have experience with the acute phase of injury in that state.

    This is the link for Florida's Brain/SCI program. They also might be very helpful:

    ~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Melbourne, FL USA
    Get her ready to start working "part time" which will make her eligible for vocational rehabilitation.

    Find a local college student to help and get her to do as much as she can.

  5. #5
    CathyB, sorry to hear about your niece.

    Here's an idea / suggestion:

    Was she active in her local church? Or community / neighborhood?

    If she was (even if she wasn't its still probably worth asking) some members may be willing to volunteer with other things besides care-giving that might help relieve the husband's responsibilities.

    For example; child care, meals (cooking), transportation, home maintenance (cleaning), groceries etc.

    Caregiving (outside of immediate family), from my experience, is a resource and money issue. Round up the resources by going through agencies, hospitals (post your needs on the bulletin boards), and other home health organizations. Start making calls and find out who, what, where, when. I've even heard of people taking out want ads in the newspapers.

    Also, please offer us more detail on her injury. What level (very important)? Was there a brain injury also? What can she do now by herself independently (e.g. can she feed herself? Dress herself? Bathing? Bowel / bladder?)? Where was her rehab / recovery (hospital name) done?

    The more information we have the more we can help. Your question / thread is a little vague on the home health care needs / details.

    Good luck.

  6. #6
    Unless you are independently wealthy, private paying for help through an agency is prohibitively expensive. Most people who do privately hire help use PCAs who are not from agencies. College students, nurses aides who are looking for extra income, etc. are good sources.

    To find out more about any state or county programs she may be eligible for, contact your local ILC (Independent Living Center). Here is a listing for Florida:


  7. #7
    Most people who do privately hire help use PCAs who are not from agencies. College students, nurses aides who are looking for extra income, etc. are good sources.
    That is a good point, I have employed several college students over the years. If you have a community college or university nearby, you may want to inquire about posting an ad on a bulletin board. Look for a nursing, PT, or Med program at the school to post an ad. Many of these students are looking for experience and are eager to learn. It could be a great resource.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts