Thread: In the company of...

In the company of...

As a person in a wheelchair, do you feel more comfortable around other people in wheelchairs or with able-bodied friends?

I'll keep my own opinions to myself for now, but I'm about 1.5 years post-injury. I find myself thinking about this question often.

Can you justify not wanting to be around people with wheelchairs?

-Lewis

Originally posted by Lewis:

As a person in a wheelchair, do you feel more comfortable around other people in wheelchairs or with able-bodied friends? Can you justify not wanting to be around people with wheelchairs?
    I feel most comfortable around people who have similar interests and values. I don't feel I have much in common with other people in wheelchairs except for cure/care issues. And those issues bring us together in forums such as this one, but they don't necessarily equate to friendships. There are exceptions, obviously.

I think there is some justification to not wanting to be around other people in chairs. In rehab, for example, I didn't want SCI "old-timers" talking to me about how I could still have a great life. At that point, I didn't consider myself "one of them."

Several years ago, I tried to hook up with a quad rugby team. I hated it. Everyone, without exception, used our time together to bitch and moan about how hard life is. I just wanted to play rugby and recapture some of the thrill I used to get from playing sports.

I don't actively seek out others in chairs, nor would I reject a potential friendship with a fellow disabled person.

You know something Clipper....it is hard. DAMN hard.

I like to use it as personal incentive. I tell myself Im the toughest person on the planet. And it really works out well. I don't have time to moan. I've got housework to try and do!

Originally posted by Eric Texley:

You know something Clipper....it is hard. DAMN hard.

I like to use it as personal incentive. I tell myself Im the toughest person on the planet. And it really works out well. I don't have time to moan. I've got housework to try and do!

???