Thread: Tatoos? Piercings?

Tatoos? Piercings?

Has anyone tried getting tatoos and piercings in areas where your sensation has suffered or gone because of SCI?

Is it alright to assume that getting it there is better than in any other place? What about Dysroflexia, is that an issue?

-+> Dan Clark

I would think that getting a tattoo or a piercing would be a noxious stimulus. They are somewhat invasive procedures and it is possible that it would cause autonomic dysreflexia when done without proper anesthetic so you would have to be prepared for that. I think its a better to avoid it, I am no fan of tattoos. While some pierces are ok with me and some not its a matter of style and not one that involves my nursing judgement. If I was your provider I would advise against it.

If you feel you must have this done, please look into doing it in a safe manner. AD can be a serious hypertensive crisis. If you have a history of deep vein thrombosis, it can be even more dangerous. I am sure that the sci-nurse will have more to add to this thinking, they have far more experience than I do.

Enjoy your day,

<Mary

...and she lived happily ever after...

Hi...

I have gotten 2 tats since my injury. I didn't experience autonomic dysroflexia with either one, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. (As you probably know)

Cynthia

There have been a couple of journal articles about people with higher SCIs getting AD when they were being tattooed or immediately thereafter. It would be wise to discuss this with your physician and be prepared with some medication to use if you should get symptoms.

We also recommend NOT having tattoos applied to any area that is over a bony prominance or weight bearing area. The healing tattoo can easily lead to skin breakdown, and the tattoo also can interfere with your ability t correctly do regular and careful skin inspections and catch early signs of breakdown.

Be sure the tattoo artist uses the highest standards of infection control (new ink vials, tubing, and new needles for each customer). Currently one of the leading causes of the transmission of hepatitis C is from tattooing.

(KLD)

Well aside from personal thoughts on tatoos it doesn't seem like I have to worry about TOO much. Besides, the two peircings I have been wanting are both on my face... (eyebrow and labret) and any tatoos at the moment would probably be on the back of my shoulder (Which is just above my line of sensation) or in the top middle of my back (right around the line)

Thanks for all the thoughts and warnings though.

-+> Dan Clark