Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Shock & Awe"

It kind of twisted my stomach listening to General Franks during this morning's 9am talk. A Chinese reporter asked him how he felt about the Iraqi civilians who have died as a result of the bombings. I cannot remember his exact words, but I will paraphrase as close as possible.

"Look, in wars some civilians will die. That's just a fact of war."

Not "We try our best to avoid civilian casualties" or "I feel for their families" or any other PR rhetoric, just that plain, cold statement. Does he care about the innocent Iraqis? He didn't appear to.

-Steven

You must have missed his previous statement where he mentioned how painstakingly each target is analysed in order to reduce civilian casualties as much as possible.

Of course if this question was asked in a white house press conference atmosphere, you would have gotten the sweetened responce you were looking for. The conference was located at a headquarters for war.

General Franks is no PR meister...he is a hardened warrior, so why expect anything less than hard, factual, answers?

get over it!its freaking war for crying out loud ...maybe when the war is over we will pave iraq and put up golden arches!

Kort ...life can change in a split second "a.k.a. paralysis!"

Kate,
    I am not one who usually engages in expressing my political opinion. Just so you know, I am not a stanch supporter of President Bush, heck I didn't even vote for him. I do however have a strong opinion about the war, just as you do. Even though I don't share the same views as you, I do respect your opinion. It's our freedom to voice our opinion without suppression. That's one of the reasons why I love this country and I am proud of the men and women who have put themselves in harms way and have paid the ultimate sacrifice to defend our freedoms.

I completely agree with Rick.

Anyone who thinks that we should not have this war because of innocents being killed needs to wake up. Word issues like this will never be solved by peace. It might be a nice thought, but by just standing by and not getting involved in issues such as this, they will only fester and get worse. Sadam is a corrupt and hateful dictator. He has killed many many people and has made aggressive action against innocent people constantly for no other reason than his own greed. His last running for "president" came up as a 100% vote for him. Do we even know who might have been running against him? Do you think he's so wonderful that everyone in the country would want to vote for him? No, he and his regime enforce laws on the people that are not just and we Americans have gone to end an evil dictator's greedy rule.

Sadam has been recorded as saying that he had nothing to do with 9/11, but he happily commended whoever did it because he feels we deserved it. For months we have offered him a peacable solution and he denied it, he lied, he cheated, and he spoke out against us when we were trying to be fair. For this, he needs to be taught a lesson. He needs to be taken out - killed, captured, whatever. We need to take as many of these people (Sadam, Osama, etc) from the middle east as possible. It is because of them that the Middle East has become a cesspool of western-life hating religious fanatics.

We will no longer stand for their tyranny, their hate, and their agression. We WILL end this!

-+> Dan Clark

Well put Clarkbar.

Good strategy Kate - If you can't argue on principle; resort to obfuscation.

Kate,

I dont disagree with you. Of course I support this war and want Sadam out of his sh*t throne, but I don't like President Bush - and I really don't like the American government. I dont want this to happen for some glorious nationalist cause, I want it because I'm sick of the way the middle eastern's think they can attack us because of our religious beliefs.

I don't agree with America getting involved in what goes on in other countries, mainly us enforcing OUR laws over there, but Sadam and his terrorist ilk really need to be put in their place, and who better to do it than the people they think they can control with fear, just like their own citizens.

-+> Dan Clark

What is Bush going to do if the Iraqis choose a government he doesn't like? Change that regime, too?

Why do the military give operations such anally retentive names. Why don't they say: Bomb the f..k out out of the place, hope we get the targets and no civilians get killed, finish the job with ground forces when the opposition has no major ammunition left. Mission accomplished.
    They should run a competition for the best name and the winner gets to witness it first hand from an aircraft carrier or a tank!
    Andrew

"You can stand me up at the gates of hell
    But I won't back down"
    Tom Petty