Thread: Walking With a Cervical Injury

Walking With a Cervical Injury

My dad had a cervical injury (C4,5 area with problems at C1 also) in Dec. 2000. He is 76 years old, and after months in the hospital, and rehab, he is now walking. Just wanted to let others know that you should never give up! We were told that this was impossible, and he didn't start to walk until after he came home from rehab.

Pomposity

I was taught that pretty much anytime you say "always" or "never" you will be proven wrong. We all know of patients who made significant gains during their first 1-2 years post injury. Anyone who presumes to play God by saying absolutely that a person with a new SCI will not have return during that time is setting themselves up to look ridiculous, stupid and non-credible to patients, family members and professionals. (KLD)

Phyllis, that is wonderful! Your Dad has some great therapists I bet!
    You are so right in saying never give up.
    After Charlies automobile accident he was in the trauma unit for 2months. His mother and I were told by the Head nurse on that floor that it would be in our best interest to leaave him in a nursing home as opposed to planning to bring him home as the cost of providing his care would be too devastating.
    Charlie is a 40 year old man! Leave him in a nursing home?!! I think not!!
    It has been a year and a few months since we were given this advice. Charlie came home 6 mos after his wreck after having rehab and our life is pretty wonderful.
    I am a LPN so I knew the advise given to us by the nurse at the Trauma unit was unacceptable and that we would be able to provide him with the care he needed at home. Other family members may not have any medical training and might take this poor advise to heart. To me, that is very scary.
    I hope that great strides continue too be made in the treatment of SCI.

Tammy

Boy, that sounds like a 'recording' of what we were told. After he made it through ICU, (about a month and a half, when the doctors were acting like he probably wouldn't survive at all), then we were told that it would be impossible for him to ever go home because it would take 3 people 24 hours a day to care for him. He continued to improve, and finally got to rehab. There, they mostly worked with his hands, and taught him how to use a wheelchair. A therapist came in one weekend and wanted dad to push her with his legs while he was in the bed. He had so much strength at that point, that he pushed her off the side of the bed. She was shocked, and yet no effort was made to work with his legs other than ROM. When he got home, we bought him a walker, and now he is walking.

Never give up. My take on SCI

Hard work, therapists, blah blah blah may have a lot to do with increasing the benefits of return after sci, but luck and damage or lack of damage to the spinal cord has more to do with funtional return than anything else.Improvment and or functonal return can last somewhere between the 2 and 3 year mark from intial injury.

I say this as I know many a para and quad that have worked their asses off with little or no return.

The bravest people I have met are those that don't give up hope and faith even though they are going through a dreadful scurge called SCI

Their lives will improve due to scientific discoveries, not by a god , religion or any non-realist beliefs.

c-7 walking quad post 9 years who works his ass off every day.

Never Give Up on Recovery

Yes, Human Cannonball, I agree with you about the people who don't give up hope being very brave. My dad is like that. I also agree that 'a god', won't help either...but I do believe that 'the one and only true God' does heal and did just that in this case. Medically, dad should never have gained movement much less have walked. As far as I am concerned, if you are still breathing, there is still hope.

Phyllis. There is no doubt I am happy for you and your family, but i have to disagree with your quote. I am not intending to get into a religious debate

"'the one and only true God' does heal and did just that in this case. Medically, dad should never have gained movement much less "

In rehab I have seen so many people praying, weeping endlessly for some kind of hope or healing from so called god and walla nothing.

Medically I should of never gotten any return at all since my spinal cord was cut, but I did.

Example

a god fearing woman, my age in great shape before injury with a husband and 3 kids had almost the exact injury I had. For all her praying, weeping and hard work, she got nothing back, no hands etc, why did not god hear her prayers???

Good luck in the future and hopefully someday there will not be a need for this site.

Peace

I don't know

Hi. I don't know why God heals some and not others. He has reasons. There were at least three people who were in the ICU at the same time as dad, that died. I know for sure that one family was coming in daily and praying for one of them. I too, hope that someday there will be no need of this board, and have no interest in debating. I am glad that you have been able to recover from your injuries and hope that you will continue to gain more.
    Phyllis