Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good things I have learned about SCI life in the last 10 months

Good things I have learned about SCI life in the last 10 months

I've learned WAY more in the last 10 months than I ever dreamed I wanted to know about SCI. I'm fortunate that I've adapted so quickly to wheelchair life, and I've actually found a lot good things that have come out of it. Sooo for all you newbies out there, I've compiled a list of my personal good things that have come to light post-injury. There is light at the end of the tunnel, you just have to look for it. I'm a highly functional T11/12 para, so don't think that I expect that everyone can do the things that I do. This is just my personal list, and I know everyone's injury is different. These are in no particular order. Don't get me wrong, I have my fair share of crappy days, but it's fun to think about the positive things only you encounter.

1. I don't get that annoying feeling under my foot when my sock is bunched up under my shoe, and I don't want to(or can't) take it off to fix it. This also applies to rocks in the shoe, holes, cold air, etc.

2. I don't get wedgies from my underwear, or at least I can't feel them when I do.

3. I always bring my seat with me and don't have to complain at parties when there isn't anywhere to sit.

4. When I get lazy or tired (not very often) I can get people to push me and they don't complain.

5. I get piggy back rides from cute guys (or my boyfriend ) to go on rides at the fair, up stairs, etc.

6. I get to go back to school full time and not have my parents bug me about having a job.

7. I have an excuse to be late for class because I have to wheel to the ends of the earth to get there.

8. My teachers pay special attention to me because I am right in front of them at the hideous disability support desks.

9. I get shot-gun in the car every time.

10. People are always asking me if I need something to eat or drink, or if I need anything; they can't tell me that I have legs and that I can go get it myself.-he he he, that one always cracks me up.

11. I can sing the Tupac song "Picture me rollin" and get a laugh from someone every time.

12. I don't have to do extensive manual labor all the time, or take Physical education for school.

13. People don't send me on errands or to go get the take out order.

14. If I spill anything in front of them once, they will never ask me to carry drinks again.

15. I can schedule my bathroom time and don't have to get up to go during a movie or any other event.

16. I'm at the perfect height to stare at a guy's butt and not make it obvious. Come on, I know some of you know what I'm talking about.

17. I don't have to do the grocery shopping or put up the dishes that I can't reach.

18. Only half of me gets cold when it's really frigid outside.

19. ROCK STAR, er, I mean Handicap parking

20. Get to go to the movies for free at two of the movie theaters in town

The list could go on and on, but I'll spare you. Feel free to add your own, and I hope that this gave you a few chuckles. Have a good week!

I can be changed by what happens to me

I refuse to be reduced by it- Maya Angelou
    [This message was edited by Erin on 02-04-03 at 17:16.]

Erin

when I think of anything positive I'll let you know

meeting all you guys on this forum is really the only one I can come up with

Thanks Erin, a refreshing perspective

Glad you're back, missed your posts.

Signed,

The voice of CareCure

Chris2,

That was a sweet thought!

Teena

1. I'd love to get that annoying feeling under my foot when my sock is bunched up, so that I could prevent pressure sores from developing.

2. I don't get wedgies from my underwear either, but only because I don't wear any -- they interfere with my catheter.

3. I'd enjoy the opportunity to stand at parties -- if I can get to them in the first place.

4. I constantly battle being tired.

5. I can't hold on for piggy back rides.

6. -

7. I'd rather walk and be on time than have a reason to make up excuses.

8. I'd rather get special attention for being smart, not disabled.

9. -

10. After 14 years, you get tired of people asking if you need something to eat or drink.

11. -

12. I'd love to do extensive manual labor, and take phys ed.

13. I wish someone would send me on errands or to go get the take out order.

14. I'm tired of spilling things.

15. I can schedule my bathroom time, too, but sometimes things happen unscheduled.

16. I'm at the perfect height to get a neck ache by trying to look someone in the eye.

17. I miss grocery shopping.

18. Actually, ALL of me gets cold. I just can't feel it, which can be deadly.

19. Handicap parking, which half the time is not open.

20. Get to go to the movies for free ... must pay thousands of dollars for home care out of my pocket.

Clipper

I think yours were a bit more realistic

Erin was joking (I think)

Yes Chris, I was joking :-). Thanks for missing me , I've been studying hard at school and adjusting to college life post-injury. Trying to stay positive is hard sometimes, but these are the reasons that I give people every day when they ask me HOW I can stay so positive. It's definitely not the "safe" way to think about my handicap. I'd welcome the cure in a heart beat, but I might as well have some fun and do what I'm capable of right now.

Clipper- hope you didn't take this list the wrong way, I was just trying to have some fun.

Phebus? Chris? I'm confused? Where's the Olympic torchbearer guy? I miss the white jumpsuit. I thought there was only one voice of carecure? That better be you, Chris(1).

Just have to say this: My grades show that I'm smart. I don't want special attention from my disability, but I'm going to get it regardless so I might as well use it to my advantage. I sat at the front of the class before my accident; at least now I get to spread my books on a big table, while everyone else crams into a teeny little desk. I would love to walk, be able to feel wedgies, annoying bunched up socks, run, go to the bathroom normally, etc. The fact is that I can't, so what am I going to do about it? The least I can do is make the best out of my situation, and joke about it. It puts me and the people around me at ease. If I were a quad, or had to use a foley catheter, or had some other horrible problem from this SCI, then I might sing a different tune. The fact is that I don't, and I sure as heck don't think I am better than anyone else with this horrible injury. I chose to make light of the situation because that's the way that I have coped. It doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me. I hope some of you don't take this the wrong way. Not trying to cause any trouble or make fun of the perils of anyone elses life. That list was my personal list and not meant to be imposed on anyone else. THank you, and goodnight .

[This message was edited by Erin on 02-05-03 at 01:55.]

[This message was edited by Erin on 02-05-03 at 01:57.]

Erin

One thing I have learned - there are an awful lot of people called Chris on this forum

Chris
    (one of the many)

Erin

by the way your new avatar is soooo cute - do you really look like that or are very photogenic?

It makes me wish I were 20 years younger - even Wise Young can't do anything about that!

Thumbs up to you, Erin. Your attitude is on target.