Thread: Grocery Shopping (and assistant dog) Question

Grocery Shopping (and assistant dog) Question

Hopefully I will be getting a van soon. I've been wandering this for a while, but how do you go grocery shopping in a wheel chair?

I've been thinking of applying for one of those assistance dogs. I got to play with one in the rehab hospital. Does anyone have one? Can they push/pull a shopping cart for you and help bring in the groceries? My house in on a steep hill, I wander if they can get the mail and news paper too. I know there's a waiting period of 6+ months, I should have listened to the therapists and sent the application while I was in the hospital.

Right now I have an assistant human, but she doesn't play fetch. She only comes for 4 hours in the morning to help me get bathed and dressed.

I don't know how it is in Ms but in Pa you can have your mail and paper box placed at your door. Even if you are on a car route. As for the dogs, I have been studying up on becoming a puppy raiser for a local non-profit group that does "custom" helper dogs. You can train them to do anything. They did a great dain for a guy that needed a walker, now he uses the dog.
    www.independencedogs.org

Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got
    ..........Janis Joplin

You might want to try the internet since you do not have a van yet. In Chicago we have a company called Peapod (www.peapod.com) that you can order from and schedule a delivery all on-line. Unfortunately, it looks like Peapod is not available in your area but you might find something else that serves MS. I have never used Peapod but have able-bodied friends that use them all the time and love it. I shop for myself and if I have several bags the grocery carries them out to my car. Also, most large groceries have "Handicapped Assistance Available" signs so they can help you in the store. You might want to call a local store or two and see if they have delivery service. Good luck getting the van.

by the looks of it your a para if so pushing a cart is not to hard to do just go for it and try it out. I do all my own shopping and know several other para's that do the same. You just push the cart with one hand and and your wheel with the other(I saw someone else do it and picked up the idea).