Thread: VR and grad school?

VR and grad school?

Does anyone know if vocational rehab helps pay for graduate school? Somewhere I heard they will only help out undergraduates.

I'm sure it all depends on what state you're in and who your counselor is. Fortunately, I sweet talked my VR counselor into paying for Grad school.

Another variable is your counselor at VR. I had one shoot down the idea of grad school without a second thought. I then introduced myself to the director of VR in my state and he put me in touch with an office supervisor who selected a counsellor more sympathetic to my cause.

JP

They helped with my B.S., but didn't help with law school at all.

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked..."
    - Allen Ginsburg

What is your voc goal?

There is no specific reg against sponsorship for post-graduate study in VR. This is a beaurocratic myth fostered through the years. You need to review your goal with your counselor. If a post-graduate degree is necessary to achieve it, then it should be included in your plan. Prepare and state your case, including specific jobs you can acquire with the degree. If your counselor balks, ask to speak to the supervisor. Statistics show that vocational success for people with SCI is directly related to their level of education.

It paid for my graduate time.

NY Vesid paid for my Master's in speech.

jobs

For you that had VR pay for your grad work, did you have a job during that time? If so, did you have "substantial" income?

Originally posted by Lizbv:

For you that had VR pay for your grad work, did you have a job during that time? If so, did you have "substantial" income?
    No I didn't HAVE to have a job. But it sure helps