Thread: SCI #'s in your community

SCI #'s in your community

I did a little research and find my numbers are a little odd. If you live in a normal area, normal meaning you didn't move to be closer to a rehab, haw many people in your community have SCI? Our 2000 census was 46,500 for our entire county. I know of ten of us with sci. Is this high?
    The reason behind all this was another person I know was injured christmas day ans has a c-5 bruise that is pretty bad. He was plowing snow on a bobcat and a manhole broke open causing him and machine to crash and crushing him in the roll cage.

If you jog in a jogging suit, lounge in lounging
    pajamas, and smoke in a
    smoking jacket, WHY would anyone want to wear a
    windbreaker?

Incidence

It depends on your population of course, and incidence numbers in most areas are averages (and also often leave out the non-traumatic SCIs), but the average incidence per year in the USA is 40 per 100,000 (which is about twice the incidence of the average of the rest of the world).

Prevelance, which is the number of living survivors is even more difficult to come by, which is why most authorities cite between 300,000 and 200,000 for the entire USA.

Pat, prevalence figures for spinal cord injury are very limited and mostly guess/estimates. Let us assume that there are 250,000 people who are wheelchair bound due to spinal cord injury in the United States. This would suggest that 0.1% of the population or 1/1000 people have that condition. In a community of 46500 people, this would come out to roughly 46 people. So, I suspect that you may know about a quarter of the people in your community with SCI. Wise.

averages .

Pat , as with most statistics these are very general . for instance , in my area , the number of SCI's per a given number of population would be lower than in the larger population concentrations because firstly some of the people who suffer SCI move to where the facilities are better for SCI and secondly MVA's [ the biggest cause of SCI] occurr more in the heavier populated areas .
    thank you
    dogger .

every day i wake up is a good one .

I think there's about 350 in Denver metro. I know maybe 25.

At any given time Craig has about 50 sci patients from just about everywhere.

Fortitudine Vincimus
    (Through endurance we conquer)

I'm from a town of about 10,000 people. Counting myself, there are 2 sci individuals in my town that I know of.

We live in a small rural town on the Canadian prairie and my husband is the only SCI in a town of about 850 people. There is another another fella SCI two towns south of us that I know of but we rarely run in to each other even though we have kids the same age!

If it weren't for this site the isolation would seriously affect my sanity!!

Based on incidence Maryland has about 4655 citizens with a SCI. We average around 500 SCIs a year (SCI as main cause of admittance on discharge records)with 25 to 30 DOA at the scene when paramedics get there. I know maybe 20 personally but have lists of lots more for legislation help and other in your face stuff. Oh, and Maryland has about 5 million people now.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."