Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Quotes

Favourite Quotes

I've noticed that many seem to include quotes in their post signature but I was wondering whether anyone has any other favourite quotes they wanted to share with us all.

I've just come across a couple tonight that I would like to add to my repertoire:

"I didn't lose my mind; it was mine to give away" Robbie Williams: No Regrets - also relevant to the music poll - I think Robbie is the modern day (British) Frank Sinatra - love him - though perhaps this affliction comes from living in the UK for a year!

"I hope to live, and love without fear, I want to always feel the grace of God near" Jewel: ... also love Jewel

Some may note I used another quote on a recent thread: "The first sign of insecurity is criticism" - I'd really appreciate if anyone can tell me where this comes from - I read it on a toilet wall!!!!!!

Happy Holidays, K.

P.S. You may have already done this - forgive me but i'm new here and i couldnt find anything during a search (more a reflection on my surfing skills than anything!) Besides, i always find inspirational quotes to be useful over the holiday period.

i love jewel too! heres one of my favorite lines from one her songs:

"I want a brave love,one that makes me weak in the knees I want a crazy,crazy love One that makes me come undone at the seams" -jewel

"And you wake up to see all your dreams have been compromised Our standard of living somehow got stuck on survive That's when suddenly everything fades or falls away... Well it's these little times that help to remind
    It's nothing without love" -jewel

"Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly." -(Rose Franken)

"Adolescence is not only an important period in life, but that it is the only period where one may speak of life in the full sense of the word." -(Michel Houellebecq, 'Extension du domaine de la lutte')

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next." (Gilda Radner) - i love this quote because it changed my view on love and life in an instant, for the good.

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish." (Mother Teresa)

"Life is rated X. It is not rated R." (Ice-T)

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." (Douglas Adams)

"Your children are not your children. They are sons and daughters of life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you. And though they are with you, they belong not to you. You may give them your love but not your thoughts, for they have their own thoughts. You may house their bodies but not their souls. For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams. You may strive to be like them, but strive not to make them like you. For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday." (Kahlil Gibran)

Justin Dart quote

"Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does."

Justin Dart

"Attitude is Everything"

Fortitudine Vincimus
    (Through endurance we conquer)

"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

(It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.)

--Antoine de Saint Exupery, from The Little Prince

"Knowledge without wisdom is a load of books on the back of an ass"

I have an extensive collection of quotes but here are a few of my favourites. Merry Christmas All!!

"The only reality you can possibly know is the world as you percieve and experience it...And the only certainty is that those percieved realities are different. There are as many real worlds as there are people."
    Carl Rodgers (1980)

It takes two to speak the truth- one to speak, and another to hear"
    Henry David Thoreau

We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass - grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls.
    Mother Theresa

We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that a savage has, because we know how it is made. We have lost as much as we gained by prying into that matter.
    Mark Twain

"For what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind and to melt into the sun? And what is it to cease breathing but to free the breath from its restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered? Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountaintop, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance."
    Khalil Gibran

"And if I go,
    while you're still here...
    Know that I live on,
    vibrating to a different measure
    -behind a thin veil you cannot see through.
    You will not see me,
    so you must have faith.
    I wait for the time when we can soar together again,
    -both aware of each other.
    Until then, live your life to its fullest.
    And when you need me,
    Just whisper my name in your heart,
    ...I will be there."

"Ascension"
    -Colleen Corah Hitchcock

If not now, when?
    ~The Talmud

"It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible
    to find it elsewhere."
    --Agnes Repplier, writer and historian

"Each moment in time we have it
    all, even when we think we don't."
    --Melody Beattie, writer and counselor

The highest courage is to dare to appear to be what one is."--John Lancaster Spalding, 19th-century Catholic bishop

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Good topic kristyn

A few I like-

"In my travels all around the world, I have come to realize that what distinguishes one child from another is not ability but access; access to opportunity, access to love." -Lauryn Hill

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"Hatred can be overcome only by love." -Mahatma Gandhi

"The ultimate asset of the state is the trust of the people in their rulers: if that trust is lost, the country is doomed." Not sure who said this, but it looks like we are screwed!

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only legitimate object of good govt." -Thomas Jefferson

"We must seek, above all, a world of peace; a world in which peoples dwell together in mutual respect and work together in mutual regard." -John F. Kennedy

... ...

You buy them books and buy them books and all they do is eat the covers.

Deb

"What's the difference between a caucus and a cactus? All the pricks are on the inside of a caucus"
    E.G.Whitlam

Andrew

"You can stand me up at the gates of hell
    But I won't back down"
    Tom Petty

Here are just a few of mine...

There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness. ~ Nietzsche

It is strange the way the ignorant and inexperienced so often and so undeservedly succeed when the informed and the experienced fail. ~ Mark Twain

All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it. ~ Mark Twain

Develop interest in life as you see it; in people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself. ~ Henry Miller

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. ~ Oscar Wilde

Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them. ~ Oscar Wilde

We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh. ~ Agnes Repplier

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~ e e cummings

~Rus

But I feel it's time to say goodbye to fear, and feel the fury of these tears, as they run down my face ~ "I'm a Cloud" (Boy Hits Car)