Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who/what is your inspiration?

Who/what is your inspiration?

Hard on the heels of Emi's "inspiration" poll, since we've all agreed that criphood is not an inspiration, I had to ask - what is?

For me it's art and music. My inspirational figures are people like Bach or Picasso, people whose vision and creative capabilities were truly awesome. I really admire people who can create a totally original work of art.

My inspiration would have to be those who dare to achieve. The people who are always trying to make the world a little better for everyone. I hope to do the same some day.

my three year old son to hear him tell me when I get better that we will play football almost breaks my heart yet makes me want to get out of this chair so damn bad I can taste it

LIFE

is my inspiration. Beauty in nature, a childs giggle, love, hot chocolate, warm blankets, good music, old friends, kisses. As long as I can appreciate these things I am inspired to be the best I can be, to be kind, to love, and to LIVE!

And of course stubborness to not let this SCI get the best of me.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

GREAT POLL

Without a doubt, my inspiration for everything I do is my eternal soulmate, Tana. I made it through the accident, only her spirit did. She keeps me motivated to get on with my life and to make the best of it. It would have been really easy for me to give up on life if she wasn't there for me, even if it is on a different level.

Interesting question. I liked Emi's thoughts.
    Anyone who is prepared to back themselves.
    An example is Marc Allen the triathlete. In 1986, he put it all on the line to win the Hawaian(?) ironman triathlon and figuratively speaking crashed and burned bigtime. A few years later, I think 1989, he came back and put it all on the line again against Dave Scott, won, and broke the record by 20 minutes.
    Nelson Mandela. He could have let things go by passively but he fought for what he believed in.
    My Mum and Dad. They put up with me! and 3 sisters and a brother.
    There are many others.
    Andrew

"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale blue moonlight?"

Music and art also inspire me, Star. But above that, I would say children inspire me the most, especially when they discover something for the first time with nobody's help. The look they have then is just... inspirational.

...and when they feel like they are helping out, that's good too. For instance, I was getting ready to leave Target the other day [through the electric doors] and this little kid -- about four years old or so -- was staring at the door, realizing that he could open it by standing in a certain place. He turned around and saw me coming, so he moved to make the door open and stood next to it like a bellhop. "I'm holding the door open for you," he said in his four year old voice as I came towards the door. "Thanks, I appreciate it" was all I could manage as a reply. The look on his face as he was using something he had just learned to help someone was so adorable; priceless even.

Yeah, children are inspirational.

-Steven

Inspiration for going on? My fiancee, a career at some point, a child we have agreed will be sooner rather than later (hell, I'm 35 now), showing people I CAN do it, a comfortable home, travel, high-end audio equipment (why couldn't I have a more accessible hobby?), cooking, being self-sufficient and not a ward of the state again.

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked..."
    - Allen Ginsburg

Yes, kids, definitely

I can't imagine how its going to feel when I see my child walking for the first time...

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Other people with SCI