Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting more spasms

Wanting more spasms

I want more spasms is their anyway to create this problem?

I am sick of my legs getting smaller.

hmmmm.....try stretching leg muscles that never get stretched. like pulling your leg out like a snow angel....

stretching tight muscles is probably the safest way. i know i can trigger spasms by shifting positions & applying pressure in different ways.

of course sticking yourself with pins or hot objects could create spasms, but hey, be smart

i don't use it much, but i'd assume e-stim might help.

Puttng a cold bottle of water on my legs makes them Spaz.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

I used caffeine and tapping my legs for years

Titrating down spasticity meds really helps, too.

For the best effect get an FES bike. There's really no substitute.

Here's to the cure.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

The water thing works and lots less than FES bike @ 14k

Originally posted by tman:

I want more spasms
    You can have mine.

A LOT less than 14K

Agreed. Cost is a huge obstacle to FES. But getting creative to find funding for a bike would be worth every effort. It not only builds your legs but also your butt, which is really important for preventing pressure sores in addition to feeling good about your body. The greatest thing, however, is the cardio-vascular benefit. This is really important to stay healthy long-term. There's also good evidence that FES reduces UTIs. Hopefully, newer bikes and competition will drive the price down. New studies might also increase insurance coverage.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

"Hopefully, newer bikes and competition will drive the price down." Jeff, I doubt the price of these bikes will ever come down. The manufacturers already know how to mass produce them to drop the costs, yet nothing. For them, its about profit and nothing else. I personally don't think enough people are interested in buying them. I will post a poll to find out.

"New studies might also increase insurance coverage." As far as an insurance companies increasing funding. Don't hold your breath. Insurance companies rate right up there with lawyers.

tman, what is your level and completeness of injury? It is hard to tell if you have any spasticity now at all, or if you only have mild spasticity. If you have a lower motor neuron injury to your legs (from a low lumbar or sacral or cauda equina injury) then you may not have spasticity no matter what you do.

(KLD)