Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needing some words of encouragement for the Holidays:-(

Needing some words of encouragement for the Holidays:-(

Today has been quite a depressing day. I learned that my new wheelchair is in, but I can't get it because I have to reapply for the spend down program. SO it's just sitting at the store not being used until Medicaid decides to pay for it. Then my ex-boyfriend called and had to rub it in that if I hadn't moved from Florida, then I still might be walking (I'm guessing he's a little bitter that I moved away from him). I have to keep reminding myself that he's a loser and that I would be going down the wrong path if it weren't for my accident. My quality of life is much better in this chair than it was before. Thinking about the holidays coming up is hard to deal with though. This holiday is a first for many things: my first away from Florida, away from the ex, and without legs that work. I'm really sad, so could some of you tell me how you dealt with your first round of holidays in a wheelchair? Thanks a bunch, I just need to get out of this funk .

hey girly...

well my first holidays in a chair were not so great because i was still in inpatient rehab. i got sprung for a day to go to my dads house and that wasnt bad b/c my little bro was there and he was a month old and so adorable. but everything else about it sucked. i think what ya gotta do is think of the things you're grateful for- like not being in the hospital when plenty are. its hard because its easy to reminensce on what we've lost but if you think enough you can think about what you've gained- like the courage to walk (roll, lol) away from a bad relationship. i had to do that last winter and its super hard- i still have moments of weakness but we must move forward not backward! one day at a time SCI soldier- you can do it! (ok, now im just cheesy, lol) feel better babe...

First Everythings

Can be real tough especially your first few years. Hang tough and try and stay busy, try doing new things you have never done before and going to new places you have never been. Also like I am always saying, exercise a lot, that really helps out in getting positive energy flowing I find plus has the benefits of keeping you looking good and in shape.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Hi Erin,

I don't remember what my first holiday was like, but I just wanted to say that I hope you are having a better day today.

I was just thinking yesterday that there shouldn't be a holiday season! Lots of people get so depressed. Or maybe it's not so much the holidays as it is the short days???

Anyway, take care, Shannon

My best strategies are: stay busy and surround yourself with people you love. They can really make the difference.

Erin - Keep your chin up, it may seem hard at first but some way you will learn how to work trough them. Don't give up.

"I'm just a dreamer who dreams of better days"

THANKS

Well, this day seems to be a little better than yesterday. It's still early, but I really appreciate everyone's kind words. That's just what I needed to see when I woke up. HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!! WHO'S READY FOR SOME TURKEY???????????

Erin,
    I would tell you how I got through the first holiday being in a wc,however, I can't remember back that far. I can show you how to get your wc released though. If you are interested, e- mail me. Just a suggestion; If I was you (and we all know im not) I wouldn't take anymore phone calls from the ex. He obviously doesn't have your best interests at heart.

[This message was edited by chasb on Nov 27, 2002 at 01:44 PM.]

It's rough...

I remember, (well it was only last year) I got pretty depressed spending Thanksgiving and my 20th Birthday in rehab, and I only got out 5 days before Christmas. Staying busy moving into my new place, and surrounding myself with friends and family kept me sane, the hard time was after everyone left. But I got through that too, and so will you...
    Keep it Shiny Side Up
    Happy Thanksgiving

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

It sounds hokey Erin but it does seem to work.. You're a para, right? Doesn't matter they need greeters too. Call a place that serves meals to the homeless tomorrow. Go hang there (some will even pick you up). It helps when you see you can still help others. Same at Christmas. If your area doesn't have a mitten tree there's still time to make one. Get a local service organization like the Lions to set up a tree in a public place like the mall or a library and people hang different size mittens on them for kids while parents register there names with the Lions or whoever to get their kids mittens.

(And do not spread rumors about me being sappy.)

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."